Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,593   Online: 1080

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
704. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

264 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.27%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

189 26.85%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

90 12.78%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

200 28.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526272832 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Out shooting with the 4x5" Tech V today on the eastern coast of O'ahu and had a couple of inquiries. I had a long conversation with one couple and let them look at the groundglass, showed them some albumen prints I keep in my case, and since one of them seemed very much interested in traditional photography, I gave her an APUG flyer.

Later a couple of teenage boys were walking through my shot and asked if they were in the way (actually they improved the shot), and one asked "is that large format?" Hey, good guess! He said he had a digital camera, but his mom gave him her old 35mm, and he was really into it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think my story is a little different. I was approached by a person while in Denmark in 2004 and I was forced to lie about it actually being a Hasselblad. He was very forward, looking at the camera I was carrying, and finally said: "Wow, that's a Hasselblad, isn't it? Those are like $5,000 or something, aren't they?"
    His interest in the valuable camera, (costing far less than that in the used market, but still a chunk of change), was unsettling, so I looked him in the eye and said that it was a fake Russian copy I got for $200 on an online auction. He looked long and hard at it and decided to move on to the next victim. I was thankful he left, as the camera wasn't mine, it was borrowed from my father.

Now that I have been gifted with a Hasselblad camera for myself, I never get asked... LOL

However, when I was using my Crown Graphic (I miss that camera) I was approached all the time from all kinds of (friendly) people wanting to take a look through the ground glass and talk about press cameras. Now that was fun!

Great stories, everybody.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been asked if my Polaroid Auto 360 was a Nikon, and whether it was digital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have my blad in my lab sometimes and theres never a day with it sitting in the lab that clients don't go OOO!!! is that a blad?
    I once had a man come up to me in the street i cant remember if it was with my Blad or my Linhof but he came up and said to me why are you using that old junk! my camera produces a far better result and you can see what you have shot immediately for which he proceeded to show me his 3.1 megapixel point and shoot. I was deeply horrofied.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I have my blad in my lab sometimes and theres never a day with it sitting in the lab that clients don't go OOO!!! is that a blad?
    I once had a man come up to me in the street i cant remember if it was with my Blad or my Linhof but he came up and said to me why are you using that old junk! my camera produces a far better result and you can see what you have shot immediately for which he proceeded to show me his 3.1 megapixel point and shoot. I was deeply horrofied.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab
    I would have asked him the same question and showed him my camera phone that also plays music and has GPS.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had my 501CM with a PM90 finder on a tripod in front of a very nice stump I'd found. A young fellow walked up to me sporting a
    small video camera and asked "That isn't a video camera is it?"

He had a point, the darn thing looks a bit like a video camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Target weekly ad
    http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...er%5Fweeklyad2
    The newest thing in fashon props!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Target weekly ad
    http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...er%5Fweeklyad2
    The newest thing in fashon props!

Is that a Hasselblad?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I was trying to compose an image with the 4x5, when I was approached by some very stylish dude -"Cool old camera! Is that a hass...". "It's a Crown Graphic" I interupted pointing to the front of the camera - which he could see perfectly well from where he was blocking my shot. "Wow! Great! I'll give you my email address - you can send me the picture." (!!!)

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is that a Hasselblad?

I get asked if its digital a lot.....

I would love to own a Kershaw King Penguin, surely the most stupid name for any camera (apologies to any "King Penguin" owners). But if you owned one it would be great for these sort of circumstances.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin