Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 774

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 131718192021222324252627282933 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just want to say I'm proud of my thread which has now remained active for over three years. It is probably the greatest thread I've ever started anywhere.

And to add to it, new ITAH story!

I have one coworker now that I'll occasionally talk photo stuff with, any time I try to describe my equipment larger then a 35mm, I get the response "Oh, A Hasselblad!" So now my Yashicmat 124G has been ITAH'ed, and my Speed Graphic has received another notch on its belt. Both without the guy even seeing them.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Saturday a girl I was taking photos of asked to hold my Hasselblad and said, "Is this a really nice Holga?"

So sort of a reverse eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time to revive this thread. I only had my first ITAH encounter 2 days ago, while on a 3 day photography trip with a Speed Graphic. A Dutch guy with some friends didn't ask me the infamous question but just stated to his friends that my Speed would be a Hasselblad.
    I corrected him and gave all of them a look at the groundglass

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Luke_h, I had something similar happen this weekend: I was shooting portraits of my nephew and his prom date with my new (to me) 500 c/m. Her dad looks at the camera and asked, "Is that a Leica?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Today, I had the experience of my lifetime. I'm 1.80m tall, and I've always been strong, fit, and broad-shouldered (having played handball most of my life). So, I was out shooting with my 4x5, the Shen Hao on a tripod, my head underneath a dark cloth, and two joggers came by, ladies in their Fifties. When they were, like, 100 m away, one exclaimed: "Oh, look! A roe!" ("Oh, schau mal, ein Reh" for native German speakers). I've been called many things, but that was a first.

It felt great.

Antje (to stay on topic: I also had a Blad with me and shot with it later, but no-one but the midgets took any notice)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess is was the day for it. I got the question yesterday, I was sitting in a bagel shop loading a roll of film in my Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've gotten the 'Is that a movie camera?' one with a tlr and my speed graphic.
    Also 'Is that a 35mm?' with my Pentax 645. At least that guy was pretty close. Better than 'Is that an old digital camera?' !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I've gotten the 'Is that a movie camera?' one with a tlr and my speed graphic.
    Someone also asked me if my Speed Graphic was a movie camera, and when I opened it up, they said, "Is that a Hasselblad?" A kid on the street asked, "Is that a camera?"

People notice my old Nikons, too, but they genreally recognize them as Nikons.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We're spending a few days on the island of Moloka'i, Hawai'i, and I've got my 2x3" Technika. Dollar Rent-a-car gave us an all wheel drive vehicle, so we took a dirt road out to Hale O Lono harbor, which is in a remote part of the island, and I was shooting some land/seascapes and there was a snorkler in the shallows, and as we were getting ready to leave, he came up with a 40-60 lb 'ulua and then came over to the car and asked if I would take a picture, so I said "sure," and he asked "Is that a Leica?"

The guy happened to be the captain of a local fishing charter boat, spearfishing on his day off.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 2 years ago in Bryce Canyon, I had just taken a picture with my Pentacon 6TL with my 30mm Arsat, when a young woman walked up to me and said "what a nice Pentacon! is that the 30mm Ukrainian lens?" Turns out she was from the Czech Republic.
    I think I would have proposed marriage on the spot!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin