Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,993   Posts: 1,633,277   Online: 1155

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
722. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

270 37.40%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.19%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

196 27.15%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

94 13.02%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

202 27.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 182223242526272829303132333438 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Got asked again yesterday.

I was waiting for a bus (which I haven't taken in ages) with my C330. The one guy standing there commented that you don't see many people shooting film these days. We chatted for a moment before my bus came.

Sat down and another guy sat close by, looked over at my TLR next to me and asked the inevitable "Is that a Hasselblad?"

I told him it wasn't, explained what it was, then asked him why he thought it might have been a Hasselblad. I'm always curious. He thought for a while and couldn't really tell me why he thought that, then he said maybe it was the two lenses and the boxy shape that looked like a real high-end camera. So I took the time to talk to him about the differences between SLRs and TLRs, etc.

I asked if maybe he had seen some Hasselblad marketing campaign, perhaps on TV or something (I don't watch so I don't know). He thought for a moment, shook his head no, then quipped "Well they went to the moon! That was an out-of-this world marketing campaign!"

Which makes it the second Hasselblad-Moon reference in as many days for me.
    Last edited by Bosaiya; 01-23-2009 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two-fer, just got another on a tongue-in-cheek photo I posted on another site.

My response was that it's just so damn sexy it's hard to tell. Oh, and the red camera, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is that a Bronica?

About a year and a half ago, I saw this guy with a very recent all-black Hasselblad (with 90-degree prism and plenty of other bells and whistles) taking pics at some rapids in the La Cloche mountains north-west of here. Not knowing any better, I asked, "Is that a Bronica?". I swear the guy turned pale and did a dry heave.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    About a year and a half ago, I saw this guy with a very recent all-black Hasselblad (with 90-degree prism and plenty of other bells and whistles) taking pics at some rapids in the La Cloche mountains north-west of here. Not knowing any better, I asked, "Is that a Bronica?". I swear the guy turned pale and did a dry heave.
    Hee hee.... you should have asked him if it was a Holga!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    Got asked again yesterday.

I was waiting for a bus (which I haven't taken in ages) with my C330. The one guy standing there commented that you don't see many people shooting film these days. We chatted for a moment before my bus came.

Sat down and another guy sat close by, looked over at my TLR next to me and asked the inevitable "Is that a Hasselblad?"

I told him it wasn't, explained what it was, then asked him why he thought it might have been a Hasselblad. I'm always curious. He thought for a while and couldn't really tell me why he thought that, then he said maybe it was the two lenses and the boxy shape that looked like a real high-end camera. So I took the time to talk to him about the differences between SLRs and TLRs, etc.

I asked if maybe he had seen some Hasselblad marketing campaign, perhaps on TV or something (I don't watch so I don't know). He thought for a moment, shook his head no, then quipped "Well they went to the moon! That was an out-of-this world marketing campaign!"

Which makes it the second Hasselblad-Moon reference in as many days for me.
    Youre lucky, they ask me when I use my C330 with the prism finder and the 250mm lens pair, if I'm from the local TV station !
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually I get the ITAH question when I'm out and about with one or more Rolleiflexes.

It's broadly equivalent, I suppose, to being asked whether one's Mercedes is a BMW. Or, since we're talking Swedes here, Volvo.

;-)

Before anyone flames me: I have a Volvo and I like it. If someone wants to give me a Hassy I'd probably like it too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

It finally happened1

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me but I got the question last Sunday. I was shooting just south of the brooklyn bridge on the promanade with an 8x10 Wisner and a guy and his wife came up and asked if that was a Hassleblad.
    It was awesome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Update: someone gave (well, sold) me a Hasselblad. I am now eagerly anticipating being asked if it's a Hasselblad.

Shooter
    35mm
    When they ask ITAH, when it is so OBVIOUS that it's not, be sure to introduce yourself as Weegee! If you're wearing a t-shirt with his image with the Speed Graphic and the cigar, all the funnier. Just a thought...

paulie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    If you're wearing a t-shirt with his image with the Speed Graphic and the cigar, all the funnier.

paulie
    Where can I get a shirt like that??
    “Art is what we call... the thing an artist does." Seth Godin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin