Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,112   Online: 882
      

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
705. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    264 37.45%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

    23 3.26%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

    190 26.95%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

    90 12.77%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

    200 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 182223242526272829303132333438 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 512
  1. #271
    Ed Sukach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,520
    Images
    26
    I used my "standard" response the other day;

    "Is that a Hasselblad"?

    "What? Where? --- Holey socks! It IS!! It's a Hasselblad!
    I wonder how it got there..."

    One can observe some interesting reactions to that answer.
    Carpe erratum!!

    Ed Sukach, FFP.

  2. #272

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    But why?

    I tend to reply "yes" when it is, "no" when it isn't a Hasselblad.

  3. #273

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,517
    Images
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    But why?

    I tend to reply "yes" when it is, "no" when it isn't a Hasselblad.
    Must just be a difference in sense of humors. When the rb67 says Mamiya on the front, right where the Hasselblad sign would be...

    I'll tease them all day long.

    Now when it's the Deardorff, they usually just get a look like "Are you crazy?"

    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

  4. #274

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    277
    "Um...like, is this a Leica???" From Freestyle's web site:

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holgaa...dex=5&series=1

    Um...suuuuuure it is...

  5. #275
    JOSarff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    The reason they ask that is that Hasselblad happens to be a design icon, like Levi Strauss and Harley Davidson.
    I disagree. It's more like name droping.

    The reason they ask 'I don't recognise the camera so is that a hasselblad?" is ignorance. After I explain it is a deardorff ((4x5) or an Eastman (8X10) the are no longer ignorant of the difference.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

  6. #276
    Bosaiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sumner, Washington
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    400
    Got asked again yesterday.

    I was waiting for a bus (which I haven't taken in ages) with my C330. The one guy standing there commented that you don't see many people shooting film these days. We chatted for a moment before my bus came.

    Sat down and another guy sat close by, looked over at my TLR next to me and asked the inevitable "Is that a Hasselblad?"

    I told him it wasn't, explained what it was, then asked him why he thought it might have been a Hasselblad. I'm always curious. He thought for a while and couldn't really tell me why he thought that, then he said maybe it was the two lenses and the boxy shape that looked like a real high-end camera. So I took the time to talk to him about the differences between SLRs and TLRs, etc.

    I asked if maybe he had seen some Hasselblad marketing campaign, perhaps on TV or something (I don't watch so I don't know). He thought for a moment, shook his head no, then quipped "Well they went to the moon! That was an out-of-this world marketing campaign!"

    Which makes it the second Hasselblad-Moon reference in as many days for me.
    Last edited by Bosaiya; 01-23-2009 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

  7. #277
    Bosaiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sumner, Washington
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    400
    Two-fer, just got another on a tongue-in-cheek photo I posted on another site.

    My response was that it's just so damn sexy it's hard to tell. Oh, and the red camera, too.


  8. #278
    Mike Té's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    863
    Images
    95

    Is that a Bronica?

    About a year and a half ago, I saw this guy with a very recent all-black Hasselblad (with 90-degree prism and plenty of other bells and whistles) taking pics at some rapids in the La Cloche mountains north-west of here. Not knowing any better, I asked, "Is that a Bronica?". I swear the guy turned pale and did a dry heave.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

    I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

  9. #279
    eddym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,927
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    About a year and a half ago, I saw this guy with a very recent all-black Hasselblad (with 90-degree prism and plenty of other bells and whistles) taking pics at some rapids in the La Cloche mountains north-west of here. Not knowing any better, I asked, "Is that a Bronica?". I swear the guy turned pale and did a dry heave.
    Hee hee.... you should have asked him if it was a Holga!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

  10. #280
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,663

    Lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    Got asked again yesterday.

    I was waiting for a bus (which I haven't taken in ages) with my C330. The one guy standing there commented that you don't see many people shooting film these days. We chatted for a moment before my bus came.

    Sat down and another guy sat close by, looked over at my TLR next to me and asked the inevitable "Is that a Hasselblad?"

    I told him it wasn't, explained what it was, then asked him why he thought it might have been a Hasselblad. I'm always curious. He thought for a while and couldn't really tell me why he thought that, then he said maybe it was the two lenses and the boxy shape that looked like a real high-end camera. So I took the time to talk to him about the differences between SLRs and TLRs, etc.

    I asked if maybe he had seen some Hasselblad marketing campaign, perhaps on TV or something (I don't watch so I don't know). He thought for a moment, shook his head no, then quipped "Well they went to the moon! That was an out-of-this world marketing campaign!"

    Which makes it the second Hasselblad-Moon reference in as many days for me.
    Youre lucky, they ask me when I use my C330 with the prism finder and the 250mm lens pair, if I'm from the local TV station !
    Ben



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin