Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,565   Online: 885

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
693. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

257 37.09%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

22 3.17%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

187 26.98%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

89 12.84%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

200 28.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've heard it several times when using my Bronica ETRS - when it wasn't mistaken for an antique. And once when I was using the massive Linhof Technika 5x7"...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ran in to a local woman pro several years ago when I was putting out my "pro" shingle. She said (quite smugly), "Oh, if you don't have a Hasselblad, no one will take you seriously".

I seriously wanted to punch her.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    I ran in to a local woman pro several years ago when I was putting out my "pro" shingle. She said (quite smugly), "Oh, if you don't have a Hasselblad, no one will take you seriously".

I seriously wanted to punch her.
    Been there. Wanted to do that. Been asked by multiple customers what kind of camera I use. Of course, now that I'm likely to have good, snappy come-backs, I doubt I'll be asked again.

Best comeback would be to (nicely) ask when they last asked about the pots and pans in a restaraunt before they ate there? The work should speak for itself.

There's what people ask/say, then there's what people really want to know. They may ask about the camera, but what they want to know is the quality of the deliverable. If you show them your portfolio projected on the wall or on a computer screen, it could still be a legitimate question. If you show them loose prints, mounted prints or albums relevant to the work they want that they can hold in their hand and sensate, I'll bet the issue won't come up.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The last time that happened to me ... carrying it on a shoulder strap:

"Is that a Hasselblad?"

"Huh? - Why - yes it is. How the heck did that get there?"

I LOVE those puzzled looks.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    The question that I am always getting asked when walking about with my "fancy" cameras is: "Are you from the [local newspaper]?"

This always seems like an odd assumption to me, especially when I am photographing in a situation that is flatly un-newsworthy and without any human interest value.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Been asked by multiple customers what kind of camera I use. ... If you show them loose prints, mounted prints or albums ..., I'll bet the issue won't come up.-KwM-
    I never had a wedding customer ask about the camera when I was showing them my sample albums. I would tend to agree with you. But then, maybe I was lucky. As I get older, I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of some humans!

(For the record, it was Mamiya TLR ...)

Former-wedding-photographer David Brown

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, once while out shooting with my EOS 3. It was mistaken for an XPan II, so at least he wasn't wondering if I had a 501 in my hands, but still!
    robertaugust

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    The question that I am always getting asked when walking about with my "fancy" cameras is: "Are you from the [local newspaper]?"

This always seems like an odd assumption to me, especially when I am photographing in a situation that is flatly un-newsworthy and without any human interest value.
    Must be your cool Fedora... They are likely looking for the paper sticking out that says "PRESS".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm...well I shoot with a Hassey and I've never been asked "Is that a Hasselblad?" when I am shooting with it. I always get asked if it's a digital camera. Errr.... Then again, it might be the sun yellow colour. No one's asked me if it was a DeWalt either!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No too long ago, I was shooting with it at my son's preschool xmas party. One of the Japanese moms (we are close to University of Ca, Irvine) saw me shooting with it and said in broken english "Hasselblad! Hasselblad!" I told her I had B&W film inside it and she was sooooo thrilled!
    I guess Japanese are more tuned to different types of cameras. I appreciated her shooting with a small P&S "film" camera.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin