Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,397   Posts: 1,683,378   Online: 840

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
726. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

273 37.60%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.17%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

196 27.00%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

94 12.95%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

203 27.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 303435363738394041424344454650 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It happened again 3 times on Saturday! Shooting with a Shen Hao 5x7 view camera at an open day at an abandoned power station in Sydney. I didn't mind though. Many people were fascinated and I was king of the kids as they all wanted to look under the dark cloth followed often by the parents. Met some nice people, had some lovely friendly conversations and no uniformed goons anywhere looking to pick a fight!
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been asked by tourists on a number of occassions when using my 5x4 camera in Westminster, London, which magazine I work for. When I explain that I am doing photography as a hobby they usually express incredulity that I am using a "technical camera" as an amateur.

When I used to use my old Mamiya C330f people did stop me and ask if it was a Hassie! If only.... (enviously)
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just happened to me yesterday when I was at a convention dressed up as an 'ole timey press photographer, shooting my 4x5 Crown Graphic :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To paraphrase Mae West "is that a Hasselblad, or are you just pleased to see me?"
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This'll really be a kick in the pants. I was showing someone a self-portrait I have (the one I use for my Avatar here) of me standing behind my Canham 14x17. The lady asked me, "Is that a Hasselblad? Or something bigger?". No, lady, it's a Minox.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A new definition for ITAH

This spring I have been taking my first college photo class. The class focuses on 35mm, but I have been mostly using my RB67 and Yashica 124. On multiple occasions, when a classmate has seen my negatives, they have asked me "is that from a Holga?" Could it be that, for the hipster generation, the Holga has replaced the Hasselblad as the default medium format camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happened to me last January - set my Crown Graphic on the tripod at Palm Beach, north end of Sydney. Within a few minutes a middle aged guy in speedos, on his way for a swim, walked over & asked "Is that a Hasselblad?" First time that's happened to me, feel I'm part of a cub now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Augied View Post
    Could it be that, for the hipster generation, the Holga has replaced the Hasselblad as the default medium format camera?
    That's possible, but... sad. Answering "Oh, I wish, but it's only a 'poor man's Hasselblad'" is ok, but having your precious camera with its giant resolution and magnificent quality compared to this chinese piece of plastic? That's harsh.
    Anyway, I got a Kowa Six now... let's see if that gets me any ITAH-credit

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You never know!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    not really. I did however have a group of people walk up to me when I was doing some portrait work for my photography class with my big speed graphic.
    "that's a weird camera. where do you view the images to see how they turned out?"
    "in the darkroom. once i process the film."
    "film? do they still make that? why don't you use digital? it's so much better."
    "no. no it isn't.(i thought this, i didn't say it.)"

then security came about a half hour later, because someone reported someone was out around campus with a weird old camera.
    "hey, what are you doing?"
    "portraits of my classmate here for an assignment."
    "hey, is that one of those old cameras those news guys used to use? my father had one."
    "yes, yes it is."
    "have a nice day."

I only hope that if I do get asked ITAH that I have some ridiculous camera with me. with a brand name written in giant letters on it.
    this thread must be good advertisement for hasselblad: you know the name, every professional camera must be a 'blad, so buy one and look like a pro!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin