Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 906

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 313536373839404142434445464751 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kavandje View Post
    I think more than anything else, the mis-placed "ITAH" questions (and for 'H' you can substitute 'L' and 'R' more often than not) raise an interesting point, in my opinion.

These brands -- Hasselblad, Leica, Rolleiflex, Nikon, and to a lesser extent the great press cameras -- documented the latter half of the 20th century. These cameras have become icons in themselves. Leicas and Nikons photographed the Vietnam war and made it possible for people to see what was going on there. Rolleiflexes have taken some of the most seminal portraits of the 20th century. Leicas secretly mounted on a Lockheed Electra enabled the Americans to compile bombing maps for WW2. Hasselblads photographed the moon. The Crown Graphics et. al. played a crucial role in the establishment of the craft of photojournalism, but it's really the latter half of the 20th century which resonates with people due in part to television, I think, which is why you'll hardly ever be out shooting with a Rolleiflex and be asked if it's a Crown Graphic. But I might be wrong.

It doesn't seem to matter than modern cameras -- the Canon EOS 5DmkIIs, the Nikon D700s -- are (arguably) just as capable, and have documented some of the most crucial images of the beginning of the 21st century. They're not icons. Whether they will ever be remains to be seen.

And people know theit icons, even if they don't "know" them. And when people see a camera they don't recognise (or *do* recognise, to their credit), then it's perhaps understandable that they're -- for lack of a better word -- a little 'star-struck'. They'll go home and tell their spouse, "I saw a man/woman taking pictures with a Hasselblad/Leica/Rolleiflex/Nikon today," in the expectation that this will resonate. Whether or not it does is a function of how their day was, I suppose.

I'd rather be asked "is that a Hasselblad," than, "You aren't still using film, are you?"
    Yes, I know I am replying to a 3 year old post, but this is probably the most thoughtful post I have read so far in 29 pages of posts in this thread.

The only exception I would take is the Crown Graphic. Those of us who recognize it as an icon are old enough to remember B&W movies as the norm, and we think of it as a "Speed Graphic", it was the icon of the US newspaper photographer from before 1920 until 1955 or so. In my experience with my Crown, the only non-photographers who recognize it are fans of old b&w movies.

Even more so, I notice that to many non-photographers the following is what is going on in they heads.

Hasselblad = Large expensive camera
    Leica = Small expensive camera
    Brownie = Cheap camera, or cheap old camera.

I think you would also find that in most of their minds, Canon now = Digital camera.

Most people are not really very brand conscious of things they are not personally into. On the other hand, many ignorant people are big name droppers, you can tell them because they are loudly telling the people they are with that your are shooting with a "Hasselblad". You will notice that they are never talking to you, because they know you know they are a poser.

Now I will return to reading the next 30 pages of these posts...

ADDED: Oh well, it turned out to only be 12 pages....
    Last edited by graywolf; 02-20-2011 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It happened again 3 times on Saturday! Shooting with a Shen Hao 5x7 view camera at an open day at an abandoned power station in Sydney. I didn't mind though. Many people were fascinated and I was king of the kids as they all wanted to look under the dark cloth followed often by the parents. Met some nice people, had some lovely friendly conversations and no uniformed goons anywhere looking to pick a fight!
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been asked by tourists on a number of occassions when using my 5x4 camera in Westminster, London, which magazine I work for. When I explain that I am doing photography as a hobby they usually express incredulity that I am using a "technical camera" as an amateur.

When I used to use my old Mamiya C330f people did stop me and ask if it was a Hassie! If only.... (enviously)
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just happened to me yesterday when I was at a convention dressed up as an 'ole timey press photographer, shooting my 4x5 Crown Graphic :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To paraphrase Mae West "is that a Hasselblad, or are you just pleased to see me?"
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This'll really be a kick in the pants. I was showing someone a self-portrait I have (the one I use for my Avatar here) of me standing behind my Canham 14x17. The lady asked me, "Is that a Hasselblad? Or something bigger?". No, lady, it's a Minox.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A new definition for ITAH

This spring I have been taking my first college photo class. The class focuses on 35mm, but I have been mostly using my RB67 and Yashica 124. On multiple occasions, when a classmate has seen my negatives, they have asked me "is that from a Holga?" Could it be that, for the hipster generation, the Holga has replaced the Hasselblad as the default medium format camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happened to me last January - set my Crown Graphic on the tripod at Palm Beach, north end of Sydney. Within a few minutes a middle aged guy in speedos, on his way for a swim, walked over & asked "Is that a Hasselblad?" First time that's happened to me, feel I'm part of a cub now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Augied View Post
    Could it be that, for the hipster generation, the Holga has replaced the Hasselblad as the default medium format camera?
    That's possible, but... sad. Answering "Oh, I wish, but it's only a 'poor man's Hasselblad'" is ok, but having your precious camera with its giant resolution and magnificent quality compared to this chinese piece of plastic? That's harsh.
    Anyway, I got a Kowa Six now... let's see if that gets me any ITAH-credit

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You never know!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin