Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,742   Online: 1013

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
693. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

257 37.09%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

22 3.17%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

187 26.98%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

89 12.84%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

200 28.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3236373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    not really. I did however have a group of people walk up to me when I was doing some portrait work for my photography class with my big speed graphic.
    "that's a weird camera. where do you view the images to see how they turned out?"
    "in the darkroom. once i process the film."
    "film? do they still make that? why don't you use digital? it's so much better."
    "no. no it isn't.(i thought this, i didn't say it.)"

then security came about a half hour later, because someone reported someone was out around campus with a weird old camera.
    "hey, what are you doing?"
    "portraits of my classmate here for an assignment."
    "hey, is that one of those old cameras those news guys used to use? my father had one."
    "yes, yes it is."
    "have a nice day."

I only hope that if I do get asked ITAH that I have some ridiculous camera with me. with a brand name written in giant letters on it.
    this thread must be good advertisement for hasselblad: you know the name, every professional camera must be a 'blad, so buy one and look like a pro!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Did not happen since I actually own a Hasselblad ! (Apart from a fellow who had one in the past).
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somebody asked me the question yesterday, I replied "it's a Mamiya, a poor man's Hasselblad"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took my 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic to Andrews Air Force Base's "Joint Forces Open House" air show. I was asked it it used 35mm film! When I told them it used 4" by 5" film, their eyes popped.

With this camera I was able to get through all the "authorized personnel only" lines to take photographs.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Did not happen since I actually own a Hasselblad !
    You could still be asked if it's a Hasselblad.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finally, on the trail to Estes Cones (Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park) an older gentleman asked if the Rolleicord I was carrying was a "Hasselbrad." I responded it was a Rollei and he said, "Ah, very nice."
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I did not get asked if it was a Hasselblad, but here is what happened. I was in San Diego Wildlife Safari Park a few weeks ago and I bought with me a Salyut C. While I was waiting in line to get on the Safari ride, a person carrying a 7d and 300/4 came to me (he was like from 7 people away) and said "Wow, That IS a Hasselblad!". Of course I corrected him, but I guess he really was fascinated with the WLF, like an LCD he says.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In Gran Teton I was shooting my 4X6 and another photographer asked me later if I was shooting a Hasselblad. She was a distance from me when I had the camera set up though. In Yellowstone I was shooting the Hasselblad and a middle aged women walking by and stopped briefly and then said "I hope you are using Kodak" Turns out she was from Rochester. Also in Yellowstone I was shooting and felt like someone was right behind me and sure enough from a large group of Japanese tourists one younger lady was just staring at what I was doing. Try a little bit of conversation but she was content just to watch me work. Then I noticed she had a Leica around her neck.

Several other people in the parks stopped and watch me shooting on the tripod and a few times I was asked why I was using the Hasselblad and why film. I only got the impression that they all were curious and actually wished to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    one time i was using a 500CM with a chimney finder and i was asked if it was a video camera. 0_o

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A while back I got "Is that a Linhof?" while referring to my Speed Graphic..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin