Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,446   Posts: 1,643,417   Online: 916

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
722. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

270 37.40%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.19%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

196 27.15%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

94 13.02%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

202 27.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3438394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    I'm new, so perhaps there is another thread that deals with this, but while never asked the Hassy question, I AM asked, pretty much daily, the "can you still get film for that?" question.

Usually while I'm taking pictures.

Temptation is strong to say "No, I just do this to keep in practice," or some such witty reparte...so far, I've been good.

so far.
    Yup, I get the film question, too. I also get "can you still get bullets for that?" when at the range with my older rifles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yup

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one that had me yelping with laughter as the perpetrator disappeared in the crowd.

Was at big car show in Vancouver yesterday. As I was sizing up a car through the Yashica LM I got ITAH'd yet again. "No, it's a Yashica, a twin lens reflex."

"Oh yeah. Right..... I've got a bunch of Hasselblad's in the closet at home."

I did have the Hasselblad with me too, used it for some IR shots. It was correctly identified by a number of people, and lots of folks made guesses about the Yashica that were quite reasonable (Rollei, mostly).

I saw one fellow shooting with a box brownie, and 2 with zero image pinholes. Hurrah!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only time I've ever heard anything like that (I said before I hadn't heard it - this was since then) was from my next door neighbor who saw me with my Mamiya 645 Pro from his yard over to my yard, a distance where it could have been mistaken easily for another medium format SLR, and it turned out my neighbor did used to have Hassleblads and earned his living as a photographer. We had a nice chat - the economy tanking forced him into other work but he still does pro photography, 100% digital, on the side. Has a nice web site too. We'd lived next door to each other for about seven years when we discovered this. Neither of us had any idea the other was interested in photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been asked if my camera was a Hasselblad... not even when shooting at least three different medium format cameras. I have been told "that's a nice antique camera" while shooting with a modern 4x5 though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Smallest camera I was using when asked was my Minox LX. Admittedly it was mounted on my Majestic tripod at the time. I simply answered no and turned my back and got down to business but the gent would not take the hint and continued to talk. I finally pulled out my Polaroid 180 and told him it was a Hassey without opening it, put it back in the back before he could read the name and he seemed satisfied. He then told his wife he knew I was a professional and I turned and simply said, no I'm just rich and my other camera, a Leica I left in the Rolls at home.

As for medium format, I'm a bit more forgiving with the Bronica, especially when using the waist level finder as their general shape is similar.

I tend to get a bit more annoyed with guys and gals asking if the camera is a Leica, especially when using the Bronica or Rolleiflex. When using the CL, I sometimes answer that it really is an Olympus 1/2 frame that I painted and put the Leica name on. I love it when the response is something like, "I thought so".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Couple of weeks ago, I was shooting outdoors (downtown Chicago) with an 8x10 inch Cambo Legend monorail view camera on a huge tripod. Got the ITAH question.
    A few years ago, shooting with a 4x5 inch Cambo monorail, an older Chicago cop asked me if that were a Deardorff (although he mispronounced it). Seems they were taught how to use them when he was at the police academy long ago.
    In general, I am very patient with politely-asked questions, in order to teach people that cameras are not black boxes built by elves in foreign countries and that film can still be purchased retail by those who are not satisfied with cell-phone photos. When looking at my ground glass, almost everyone is surprised that the image is inverted, and I tell them that is true in their digital camera or 35mm, as well, but that Walgreens turns the print around for the customer.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Cha-ching. Scored another ITAH with an 8x10 deardorff the other day!
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    Cha-ching. Scored another ITAH with an 8x10 deardorff the other day!
    At This Moment: You Are The Alpha, And Omega Of This Thread !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    At This Moment: You Are The Alpha, And Omega Of This Thread !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron
    I'm also eagerly awaiting the ten year anniversary post of this thread. Few more to go.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin