Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 803

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3640414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Smallest camera I was using when asked was my Minox LX. Admittedly it was mounted on my Majestic tripod at the time. I simply answered no and turned my back and got down to business but the gent would not take the hint and continued to talk. I finally pulled out my Polaroid 180 and told him it was a Hassey without opening it, put it back in the back before he could read the name and he seemed satisfied. He then told his wife he knew I was a professional and I turned and simply said, no I'm just rich and my other camera, a Leica I left in the Rolls at home.

As for medium format, I'm a bit more forgiving with the Bronica, especially when using the waist level finder as their general shape is similar.

I tend to get a bit more annoyed with guys and gals asking if the camera is a Leica, especially when using the Bronica or Rolleiflex. When using the CL, I sometimes answer that it really is an Olympus 1/2 frame that I painted and put the Leica name on. I love it when the response is something like, "I thought so".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Couple of weeks ago, I was shooting outdoors (downtown Chicago) with an 8x10 inch Cambo Legend monorail view camera on a huge tripod. Got the ITAH question.
    A few years ago, shooting with a 4x5 inch Cambo monorail, an older Chicago cop asked me if that were a Deardorff (although he mispronounced it). Seems they were taught how to use them when he was at the police academy long ago.
    In general, I am very patient with politely-asked questions, in order to teach people that cameras are not black boxes built by elves in foreign countries and that film can still be purchased retail by those who are not satisfied with cell-phone photos. When looking at my ground glass, almost everyone is surprised that the image is inverted, and I tell them that is true in their digital camera or 35mm, as well, but that Walgreens turns the print around for the customer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cha-ching. Scored another ITAH with an 8x10 deardorff the other day!
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    Cha-ching. Scored another ITAH with an 8x10 deardorff the other day!
    At This Moment: You Are The Alpha, And Omega Of This Thread !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    At This Moment: You Are The Alpha, And Omega Of This Thread !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron
    I'm also eagerly awaiting the ten year anniversary post of this thread. Few more to go.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    We can do it fellow APUGGers!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well it isn't a ITAH story,but it's strange

I was shooting with a M645 down in Canal Street,taking pictures down one street and going over to the next block when a large beefy fellow comes running up to me and says "Hey you're not a cop are you? I say "no I'm not." He gets closer and asks again if I'm a cop. I tell him that I'm just a tourist. Then he says "That's ok then",and walked away.
    I don't know what was going on-but I didn't see anything in the slides when I ran them off.
    Maybe that's a good thing

r paul

Shooter
    Multi Format

No longer an ITAH virgin!

I whip out my Rolleicord.

"Sore wa Hasseruburado desu ka?", I'm asked in Japanese.

"Iie. Roraikodo desu yo." (And this guy is a professional photographer, of all things.)

There's nothing quite like the first time.

Anyone else out there been asked in something other than their native tongue?
    Last edited by Mitya138; 06-25-2012 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was asked by Dutch woman once when I was shooting in the flower market in Amsterdam with a Mamiya TLR, "is that a Hasselblad, the Dutch lady who was with me told me what she said and translated for me, I replied "no, it's a Mamiya a poor man's Hasselblad"
    Ben

I got the ITAH while running a photo booth at a local art fair last weekend. It was a 4x5 Crown Graphic with a Polaroid back . . .

Peter Gomena

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin