Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,115   Posts: 1,613,136   Online: 1006

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
722. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

270 37.40%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.19%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

196 27.15%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

94 13.02%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

202 27.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3640414243444546474849505152 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was in line for a gig once and a guy behind asked if my Lubitel Uni. 166 was 'a time machine!'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB501c View Post
    I was in line for a gig once and a guy behind asked if my Lubitel Uni. 166 was 'a time machine!'
    All cameras are time machines.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just got "is that a Hasselblad"... for my Rollei 2.8E. So he wasn't terribly far off - it IS a square format, waist-level viewfinder, shooting 120 film, and using a Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8 lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own a Hasselblad, but can imagine a scenario when a policeman asks you "what kind of camera is that ?" and you reply" Hasselblad", and you get arrested for being drunk and disorderly. I do however own a couple of Mamiyas and they wouldn't be much better .
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    but can imagine a scenario when a policeman asks you "what kind of camera is that ?" and you reply" Hasselblad", and you get arrested for being drunk and disorderly
    A few years ago I was driving a truck through London following a friend in a car. A policeman stopped us and asked us where we were going. My friend replied "Battersby's" instead of Battersea. The policeman eventually let us continue when he realised my friend wasn't drunk. Battersby's is a bicycle shop local to us.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW!

After years of watching this thread, it finally happened! It was in a cooking store at a mall in Skokie IL. I was carrying my Mamiya C33 tlr on a hippie strap and one of the sales ladies asked me "Is that a Hasselblad?" She took photography at a public high school in Louisiana and they learned on Hasselblads - the personal property of the teacher. She would love to get back into it, but doesn't have space for a darkroom and the cost of sending out for processing is just too much for her. I told her how cheap equipment is now and encouraged her to do a bathroom setup. Then she tried to sell me a $3000 espresso maker.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    WOW!
    Then she tried to sell me a $3000 espresso maker.
    Don't buy those cheap espresso makers. They don't last. *LOL*
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In the last two weeks I've had three different people either ask me if my Rolleiflex was a Hasselblad or outright claim it was a Hasselblad (wherupon I politely corrected them). I'm starting to think that the vast majority think there are three brands of camera in the world: Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad. And anything not immediately identifiable as (and larger than) a 35mm SLR is by default a Hasselblad.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's interesting the difference in public awareness of the two (top-tier? illustrious? "best"?) camera systems (Hassy and Leica).
    You get "Is that a Hasselblad?" with any camera that is either big or has chrome on it, but it seems like you only get "Is that a Leica?" when it actually is.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    In the last two weeks I've had three different people either ask me if my Rolleiflex was a Hasselblad or outright claim it was a Hasselblad (wherupon I politely corrected them). I'm starting to think that the vast majority think there are three brands of camera in the world: Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad. And anything not immediately identifiable as (and larger than) a 35mm SLR is by default a Hasselblad.
    One evening this past weekend in Chicago Chinatown a guy walked by and I heard him pronounce the Mamiya as a Rollieflex. In fact, I was really surprised at how many people stopped and asked me about my camera. In one 5-day period in Chicago it generated about a year's worth of Denver comments.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin