Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,475   Posts: 1,644,337   Online: 939

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
722. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

270 37.40%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.19%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

196 27.15%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

94 13.02%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

202 27.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37414243444546474849505152 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a recent transplant to the LA area; I've gotten a few people thinking I'm hauling a piece of movie equipment when I'm out with my camera with motor drive attached. I told one guy to stick around because the catering truck will arrive soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    In the last two weeks I've had three different people either ask me if my Rolleiflex was a Hasselblad or outright claim it was a Hasselblad (wherupon I politely corrected them). I'm starting to think that the vast majority think there are three brands of camera in the world: Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad. And anything not immediately identifiable as (and larger than) a 35mm SLR is by default a Hasselblad.
    It must be contagious. Having never been asked before, I just spent a couple of weeks away and, like you, had three people on three different occasions ask me if my Yashica D TLR was a Hasselblad. After the third time, I actually got online to refresh my memory on exactly what a Hasselblad looks like. I can't see where the confusion comes in - the two cameras really only have two things in common... mostly black... a bit of chrome. So, yes, I think it's simply a case of a great many people only knowing one brand name of a camera larger than a 35mm SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few years ago I got asked it that was a hasselblad and they were correct.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I'm a recent transplant to the LA area; I've gotten a few people thinking I'm hauling a piece of movie equipment when I'm out with my camera with motor drive attached. I told one guy to stick around because the catering truck will arrive soon.
    Priceless!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ran into Chris Faust today while he had a Hasselblad over his shoulder. I damn well knew what it was, but I went and ITAH'd him anyways.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was asked this question yesterday by a woman, when I was using a Canon F1 .
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    It must be contagious. Having never been asked before, I just spent a couple of weeks away and, like you, had three people on three different occasions ask me if my Yashica D TLR was a Hasselblad. After the third time, I actually got online to refresh my memory on exactly what a Hasselblad looks like. I can't see where the confusion comes in - the two cameras really only have two things in common... mostly black... a bit of chrome. So, yes, I think it's simply a case of a great many people only knowing one brand name of a camera larger than a 35mm SLR.
    Well, there's also the waist-level finder (if you're using one on the Hassy). But you're right, the overall form factor is radically different. For all intents and purposes, the lens(es) on a TLR don't appreciably project beyond the front of the camera, and there's two of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    ...the two (top-tier? illustrious? "best"?) camera systems (Hassy and Leica).
    The manufacturers (and owners) of quality Nikon products would like a word with you...

:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was asked if my Yashica-Mat 124G was a Hasselblad by high-ranking Sensei in my Kendo club when I was shooting a competition with it.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I was asked if my Yashica-Mat 124G was a Hasselblad by high-ranking Sensei in my Kendo club when I was shooting a competition with it.
    Lo how the mighty have fallen if a Swede can't tell the difference between a Yashica and a Hasselblad.

On a separate note, I will probably bust a gut if someone asks me if the 2A Autographic Brownie is a Hasselblad when I'm out shooting with it at lunch today.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin