Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,769   Online: 1094

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW!

After years of watching this thread, it finally happened! It was in a cooking store at a mall in Skokie IL. I was carrying my Mamiya C33 tlr on a hippie strap and one of the sales ladies asked me "Is that a Hasselblad?" She took photography at a public high school in Louisiana and they learned on Hasselblads - the personal property of the teacher. She would love to get back into it, but doesn't have space for a darkroom and the cost of sending out for processing is just too much for her. I told her how cheap equipment is now and encouraged her to do a bathroom setup. Then she tried to sell me a $3000 espresso maker.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    WOW!
    Then she tried to sell me a $3000 espresso maker.
    Don't buy those cheap espresso makers. They don't last. *LOL*
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In the last two weeks I've had three different people either ask me if my Rolleiflex was a Hasselblad or outright claim it was a Hasselblad (wherupon I politely corrected them). I'm starting to think that the vast majority think there are three brands of camera in the world: Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad. And anything not immediately identifiable as (and larger than) a 35mm SLR is by default a Hasselblad.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's interesting the difference in public awareness of the two (top-tier? illustrious? "best"?) camera systems (Hassy and Leica).
    You get "Is that a Hasselblad?" with any camera that is either big or has chrome on it, but it seems like you only get "Is that a Leica?" when it actually is.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    WOW!

After years of watching this thread, it finally happened! It was in a cooking store at a mall in Skokie IL. I was carrying my Mamiya C33 tlr on a hippie strap and one of the sales ladies asked me "Is that a Hasselblad?" She took photography at a public high school in Louisiana and they learned on Hasselblads - the personal property of the teacher. She would love to get back into it, but doesn't have space for a darkroom and the cost of sending out for processing is just too much for her. I told her how cheap equipment is now and encouraged her to do a bathroom setup. Then she tried to sell me a $3000 espresso maker.
    Even $3,000 espresso makers take lousy photographs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    In the last two weeks I've had three different people either ask me if my Rolleiflex was a Hasselblad or outright claim it was a Hasselblad (wherupon I politely corrected them). I'm starting to think that the vast majority think there are three brands of camera in the world: Nikon, Canon and Hasselblad. And anything not immediately identifiable as (and larger than) a 35mm SLR is by default a Hasselblad.
    One evening this past weekend in Chicago Chinatown a guy walked by and I heard him pronounce the Mamiya as a Rollieflex. In fact, I was really surprised at how many people stopped and asked me about my camera. In one 5-day period in Chicago it generated about a year's worth of Denver comments.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a recent transplant to the LA area; I've gotten a few people thinking I'm hauling a piece of movie equipment when I'm out with my camera with motor drive attached. I told one guy to stick around because the catering truck will arrive soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It must be contagious. Having never been asked before, I just spent a couple of weeks away and, like you, had three people on three different occasions ask me if my Yashica D TLR was a Hasselblad. After the third time, I actually got online to refresh my memory on exactly what a Hasselblad looks like. I can't see where the confusion comes in - the two cameras really only have two things in common... mostly black... a bit of chrome. So, yes, I think it's simply a case of a great many people only knowing one brand name of a camera larger than a 35mm SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A few years ago I got asked it that was a hasselblad and they were correct.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I'm a recent transplant to the LA area; I've gotten a few people thinking I'm hauling a piece of movie equipment when I'm out with my camera with motor drive attached. I told one guy to stick around because the catering truck will arrive soon.
    Priceless!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin