Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,527   Online: 848

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394344454647484950515253 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ran into Chris Faust today while he had a Hasselblad over his shoulder. I damn well knew what it was, but I went and ITAH'd him anyways.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was asked this question yesterday by a woman, when I was using a Canon F1 .
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    It must be contagious. Having never been asked before, I just spent a couple of weeks away and, like you, had three people on three different occasions ask me if my Yashica D TLR was a Hasselblad. After the third time, I actually got online to refresh my memory on exactly what a Hasselblad looks like. I can't see where the confusion comes in - the two cameras really only have two things in common... mostly black... a bit of chrome. So, yes, I think it's simply a case of a great many people only knowing one brand name of a camera larger than a 35mm SLR.
    Well, there's also the waist-level finder (if you're using one on the Hassy). But you're right, the overall form factor is radically different. For all intents and purposes, the lens(es) on a TLR don't appreciably project beyond the front of the camera, and there's two of them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    ...the two (top-tier? illustrious? "best"?) camera systems (Hassy and Leica).
    The manufacturers (and owners) of quality Nikon products would like a word with you...

:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was asked if my Yashica-Mat 124G was a Hasselblad by high-ranking Sensei in my Kendo club when I was shooting a competition with it.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I was asked if my Yashica-Mat 124G was a Hasselblad by high-ranking Sensei in my Kendo club when I was shooting a competition with it.
    Lo how the mighty have fallen if a Swede can't tell the difference between a Yashica and a Hasselblad.

On a separate note, I will probably bust a gut if someone asks me if the 2A Autographic Brownie is a Hasselblad when I'm out shooting with it at lunch today.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So did they ask?.......
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    It's interesting the difference in public awareness of the two (top-tier? illustrious? "best"?) camera systems (Hassy and Leica).
    You get "Is that a Hasselblad?" with any camera that is either big or has chrome on it, but it seems like you only get "Is that a Leica?" when it actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Simpson View Post
    The manufacturers (and owners) of quality Nikon products would like a word with you...

:-)
    And Mamiya.

tim in san jose
    Last edited by k_jupiter; 09-19-2013 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Even $3,000 espresso makers take lousy photographs.
    I DOES seem like half the people on APUG use the damned stuff to develop film. A 3 grand cuppa espresso must be better for developing than the cheap 129.00 one from Costco.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been out shooting with my Kiev 88CM (hassy1000 rip-off for those who don't know) and had people ask me what it is. When I give my standard reply, "you know a Hasselblad? It's the soviet rip-off of that", noone even knows what a Hasselblad is (except for the one or two who know of it being responsible for the Lunar. Oh how the mighty have fallen).
    To be fair though, most aussies (present company excluded) would barely even know a real hassy if it bricked them across the face (which is coincidentally a good escape if someone who does know what they are wants to relieve you of it). Generally the next question after someone asks what I'm using is along the lines of, "does that take film, can you still even buy film?"...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin