Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,852   Online: 1105

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been asked "Is that a Hasseblad" when shooting with a Graphic, but I was once asked whether my Graphic was a movie camera.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like going out with my flexbody with the proshade attached. People do triple-takes.

HEHEHEHE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    i had a novel if a bit annoying experience recently in Cornwall. I had set my shot of a rock stack near the Cheesering, which a family were walking around/ on at the time, so I took a few light readings, tinkered a bit with filters etc and waited for them to go - not impatiently or anything, the countryside is there for all of us to enjoy .....
    After about 15 minutes, I heard the father saying (in his best southeastern accent) "'ere, Kylie (to his wife), that bloke's tryin' a get a picture ov this, lets 'ang about to get in the way". I waited a while longer (20 mins or so), doing my best not to show any annoyance as clouds were scudding across the sky towards the sun and threatening to ruin the light. The whole family then walked directly at me, very s-l-o-w-l-y so as to stay in shot and, as they got to about 4 foot infront of the camera (more than close enough to read the ROLLEIFLEX written on the top of my sl66), Mr Chav said "That's a Hasselblad, that is - they're worth about £20k. Wouldnt take much to grab it and run would it" I stared, held eye contact and they were gone ... I was left a little bemused, but managed to get my shot.
    :o Some people are incredible!

Dunno why I'm surprised, though. Leon, if you remember the darker of the two waterfall shots I took to Keswick (Thornton Force) I had to wait about twenty minutes for that one as some enterprising individuals clambered up across it and stood there waving at me! Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    The question that I am always getting asked when walking about with my "fancy" cameras is: "Are you from the [local newspaper]?"
    Yup, had that one a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    No matter what I'm using, the usual question is "Is that digital?"
    Yup, had that one. One bloke was so disgusted at being told, "No" that he turned away very quickly, nearly sending my non-digital F80 down a fifity-foot drop into a river! (And I wasn't even in Cornwall at the time!)

No one has yet mistaken it for a 'blad though; I must be too scruffy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "No one has yet mistaken it for a 'blad though; I must be too scruffy!"

I often shoot my Hasselblad while wearing my smoking jacket and ascot.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    The question that I am always getting asked when walking about with my "fancy" cameras is: "Are you from the [local newspaper]?"
    At a balloon glow last September, I was asked several times if I was with one of the local television stations. I was shooting my 4x5. I didn't have any problems with people getting in my way, for a change, they were making sure they weren't in my way.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did the "opposite" the other day.

A person stopped me while I was shooting my Holga. He asked what camera it was...I said a Hasselblad

At least both are 6x6 format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    When I made this photograph, I had a few people walk over the bridge, peer over the edge, and ask me if my 4x5 Gandolfi Variant L3 was a 'video' camera.

Yup, it's a video camera. With bellows.

Pretty funny.
    I've been asked the same question more than once, but with a Rollei 6008, and the answer was the same, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had the Blad question, but years ago did have a unique equipment mis-I.D. This occurred at the time of a very popular movie starring Bill Murray. I had my camera gear in a small backpack with the tripod attached vertically down the center of the pack. As I passed a family on the trail I heard the young boy exclaim, "Dad, look! GHOSTBUSTERS!!!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I placed some tape over 'hasselblad' wich is written on top of my camera, I just don't like it when people start asking that question, I just want to take pictures.

But yes the "is that a movie camera?" or "that must be very old?" questions are very common. A few weeks ago I had the golden tip from someone I asked to pose on the street, she had a digital canon and told me "it's rather inexpensive nowedays, no use to carry around such a heavy and old camera anymore".

After that remark I didn't focus the picture I took of her.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    A few weeks ago I had the golden tip from someone I asked to pose on the street, she had a digital canon and told me "it's rather inexpensive nowedays, no use to carry around such a heavy and old camera anymore".

After that remark I didn't focus the picture I took of her.
    I'm surprised you still took the picture.
    Diane

Halak 41

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin