Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,296   Online: 1162

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
710. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

266 37.46%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.24%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

190 26.76%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

92 12.96%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He probably understood Mamiya as "little-known second rate substutute." Bad, bad mistake on his part, but given the prevailing level of ignorance you shouldn't be offended.

Passers by rarely know a lot. Once, while I was out shooting with a Graphic a passer by stopped to telling me that I really knew what I was doing. I wish he'd been right, he was wrong as wrong can be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    But, but, why hasn't anyone ever mistaken my "poor man's Hasselblad" (Kowa 6) for a (ahem...) Hasselblad?
    Actually, since I posted this in February - it's happened.

It was at Les McLean's workshop in Ft. Worth, and of all people, Les himself walks over and says: "Oh, a Hasselblad man!". Uh, no.

He then actually looked at the camera and we both chuckled. Knowing Les, he was probably just pulling my chain anyway ...

Cheers y'all.

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've never had a "ITAH" experience, but non of my cameras look similar either.

But, last weelend I attended a festival. I usually bring the 35mm kit because it's just better suited. This time I brought the Mamiya C330 kit, more to have fun than worry about documenting things.

I had more than a dozen people approach me, all saying the same thing: "Hey, is that a Mamiya? I used to own one of them... Boy do I regret getting rid of it..."

I did actuall have one person ask if it was a movie camera while I had the 250mm on it ;-)

I have never had such a reaction to a camera before. By the end of the first day, I started to enjoy hearing about all the ex-owners. Now if we could just get 120 film back in the drug stores...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, twice in Trinidad where I worked from time to time. In each case I was using a sixties SWC, and the question was not marked with envy, just mere curiosity. I was pleased with that because it marked a certain non-consumer mindset of the natives who made the comment as a mere conversational point and were more interested in outcomes.

In the USA I can't even hear such questions. I went very deaf a few years ago. It's a Godsend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well guess what happened. Yesterday I took a break from this presentation I have been making since forever and thought I fly the koop and go take some pictures. Went over to Fort Trumbull and one of the civil war enactors asked me "Is that a Hasselblad?"

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite ITAH moment wasn't an actual ITAH - it was when a local "pro" saw me with my F3/MD4 and asked "Wow!, Is that the latest Nikon digital?!?"

So sad...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not exactly "ITAH," but today I was out for a walk in Central Park with my Tech V 4x5", shooting handheld, and was approached in two separate incidents by guys with Leica rangefinders (one with his friend shooting a Nikon SLR). They all seemed particularly impressed by the Grafmatic filmholder, and one asked, "Is that a new thing?" I told him they've been around for at least 60 years (probably about as long as he'd been around), and explained their even older ancestor, the bag mag.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well hell, I had my Hasselblad out and someone asked me if it was a digital camera?.....can anybody tell me how to remove teeth marks and blood from the leatherette?...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    ... They all seemed particularly impressed by the Grafmatic filmholder, and one asked, "Is that a new thing?" I told him they've been around for at least 60 years (probably about as long as he'd been around), and explained their even older ancestor, the bag mag.
    David:

Grafmatic's are in fact a fairly new device. I'm pretty sure they came out either in 1950, or a year or so later, so they're in fact NOT at least 60 years old, but rather a new device obviously designed for young folks that have a need for speed!

I have a bunch of them, and love them! At the moment I only have a couple of bag mags, but both of them are the new style, with patent dates from 1920! I used to have one of the older style plate bag mags, but I sold it along with my Super D.

Another back that's kind of interesting is the Kinematic back. It's similar to a grafmatic (in fact some of the parts are SO similar that I often wonder if they weren't made by the same company), except they hold 10 shots, and don't seem to be made quite as nicely as the grafmatics are (the mechanism seems cheaper). I have a couple of them, but only one is usable, the other needs work.

About the only comment I've gotten when out taking pictures was from my neighbor, she looked at some of my pictures, and then asked why anyone would want a camera that only 'does' black & white? I tried to explain that the camera would 'do' any type of film I put into it, but realized fairly quickly that I was wasting my time.

Oh, one time when I was photographing a street festival here in town a person asked if I was from the newspaper, but that was it.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like a bumpersticker that says "my other car's a hasselblad".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin