Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 713

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
710. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

266 37.46%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.24%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

190 26.76%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

92 12.96%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well. guys, I know a lot of what is in this thread is tongue-in-cheek, and I can certainly understand the feeling - having had equivalents of that question in other hobbies of mine ( like cars: "what do you have in that thing?!" about a completely bone stock car. answer: "a driver..." or model airplanes "is that one of them ready to flys?" about a model that I spend months crafting...). So I am no stranger to the sentiment, and no, I don't have a high tolerance for stupidity - quite the contrary. But let me propose a little theory:
    A person asking you this question is trying their darnest to get your interest by attempting to show some knowledge, or perhaps knowing the status of a Hasselblad - trying to flatter you. Now, however back-handed or foot-in-mouth it comes out, lets cut these people some slack. If they are just looking to start a "my digital is better than that really expensive old thing" argument - you will know soon enough and can insult them and their intelligence until they run away crying - please, please do! But if they are not, why not share your knowledge with them? Why not let them have the benefit of your knowledge, at least a little? You know, our love for traditional photography is fallen on hard times as it is - we should be good ambassadors for the hobby (and in many cases profession). Take a second or two (I know, you don't always have it - I am not saying put up with someone who is an inconsiderate pest - see the digifreak point above) and give them some input. Not knowing does not equal stupidity. Often, this may be the only exposure these people will have to a knowledgeable afficionado of traditional photography - if each one of us at least plants the seed with one newcomer asking silly questions, it will be of benefit to all of us down the road and to photography itself. What do you say guys - lets not be so harsh - there is new bloodout there, lets use our knowledge to bring it in! A little explanation may go a long way towards sparking a genuine interest, or blowing some air on a dormant spark.

I know I got a little too serious, perhaps - but I think I have a point - don't you?

Peter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    David:

Grafmatic's are in fact a fairly new device. I'm pretty sure they came out either in 1950, or a year or so later, so they're in fact NOT at least 60 years old, but rather a new device obviously designed for young folks that have a need for speed!

I have a bunch of them, and love them! At the moment I only have a couple of bag mags, but both of them are the new style, with patent dates from 1920! I used to have one of the older style plate bag mags, but I sold it along with my Super D.

Another back that's kind of interesting is the Kinematic back. It's similar to a grafmatic (in fact some of the parts are SO similar that I often wonder if they weren't made by the same company), except they hold 10 shots, and don't seem to be made quite as nicely as the grafmatics are (the mechanism seems cheaper). I have a couple of them, but only one is usable, the other needs work.
    I think you're right, Mike. I checked on Graflex.org, and Les, who knows such things, says the Grafmatic was introduced in 1950.

I've also got bunch of Grafmatics and a Kinematic holder. I think the Kinematic was manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio. It's nice to have 10 sheets in one holder for an afternoon stroll, but it is flimsier than the Grafmatics. If I'm not careful, it's possible to pull the inner box right out of the holder and watch the loaded septums go flying. Fortunately that only happened when I was testing it the first time.

For the 5x7" Press Graflex, I've got a plate bag mag with film sheaths and a film bag mag. That plate mag must have weighed a ton with 12 glass plates in it!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    But if they are not, why not share your knowledge with them? Why not let them have the benefit of your knowledge, at least a little? You know, our love for traditional photography is fallen on hard times as it is - we should be good ambassadors for the hobby (and in many cases profession).
    I agree and always take the opportunity to demonstrate the big cameras (after I get the shot) when asked, and I suspect many of the people here do too, but we still get to post their comments up on the funny board when we get home.
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know - I didn't mean to be a stick in the mud - a laugh is always good. If we handle these things correctly, some of these being laughed at may well be joining us in doing the laughing in the future.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sunset at the beach across from the condo where we're staying on Maui, I've got the Tech V, shooting some patterns in the sand and water

--Is that a Hasselblad?

--It's a 4x5" camera.

--Have you got black and white in that?

--Yeah.

--I like the textures and the patterns and the light and all that. Over at Kam I [another beach down the road] there was this guy who made a sculpture in the sand of a shark biting a naked lady on a surfboard, and I shot a whole roll of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I go out to shoot with my Hasselblad the comments are usually either
    "Must be a very old camera" (and they don't believe its a year and half old)
    "Looks very professional indeed" (considering I don't)
    but once in a blue moon I get very surprised and excited when somebody exclaims
    "Is that a Hasselblad? It is!" (like that guy on my last visit at Madrid's Reina Sofia museum)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took my 4x5 to a local balloon glow last year and was asked twice if I was with one of the local television stations.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I agree and always take the opportunity to demonstrate the big cameras (after I get the shot) when asked, and I suspect many of the people here do too, but we still get to post their comments up on the funny board when we get home.
    Just last night my 15 year old Granddaughter was visiting and spied my Speed Graphic on the table. She ask a few questions (none about a Hasselblad however) so I took the opportunity to go over the camera in some detail. She then surprised me totally by stating that she would like to learn about traditional photography. You see, we gave her a d-camera for her birthday in March and she has been using it since. To say I was overjoyed is an understatement.

Now the problem is: what format should we begin with? We both would like to begin using the 4x5 but she needs one she can handle more easily at first. I’m thinking about the C330f – a compromise at this point. She actually said, “We can’t control the development of individual frames with roll film.” That about floored me!

I can’t wait!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got an interesting comment about 3 years ago is when I was photographing a running stream with ice early one winter morning.... it had to have been 15 deg... An elderly hiking couple came out of nowhere and the gentleman saw my 20 year 500 C/M with a chrome 150 sitting on the tripod and said "oh my god that's a Hasselblad, you must be rich! Of course my answer was, everybody has their vices, this one happens to be mine...
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan
    I was shooting on the banks of the Thames last year.

I had a Lubitel 1 on a tripod with my home made lens hood,cut from a black film canister, and a cable release...

A young guy walked by with his girlfriend and as they passed me she said to him something like "Look at the old camera" and I heard him confidently telling her "That's a Hasselblad"...

I think the Lubitel is basically the anti-Hasselblad ... :-)
    i once was asked the "is that a hasselblad" question when i was shooting with a lubitel (2 to be exact) too. and that was from someone who was shooting b&w with a nikon f100and doing his own printing, so you would expect that he knows his gear.

also people has asked me several times for which newspaper i worked while shooting with a holga...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin