Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,629   Online: 1078

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
710. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

266 37.46%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.24%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

190 26.76%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

92 12.96%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 52 12345671151 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Is that a Hasselblad?

A spin off of the "Looks you get" thread. Who here has received the infamous "Is that a Hasselbald?" remark from a bystander?

I just got my first ITAH? this Friday while carrying my Speed Graphic around, and was very excited since I've only heard about 26,000 other photographers say they have received that comment. I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong by not being asked.

An while we are on the subject why is it that whenever a bystander seems to know something about cameras, they ask if it is a Hasselblad? Why not "Is that a Deardorf?" or something similar? Thoughts?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    A spin off of the "Looks you get" thread. Who here has received the infamous "Is that a Hasselbald?" remark from a bystander?

I just got my first ITAH? this Friday while carrying my Speed Graphic around, and was very excited since I've only heard about 26,000 other photographers say they have received that comment. I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong by not being asked.

An while we are on the subject why is it that whenever a bystander seems to know something about cameras, they ask if it is a Hasselblad? Why not "Is that a Deardorf?" or something similar? Thoughts?
    Ahhhh... Welcome to the ITAH club! Let us know when someone asks if your Speed is the newest digital!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The reason they ask that is that Hasselblad happens to be a design icon, like Levi Strauss and Harley Davidson.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, but the really weird part of it was I was standing at a urinal at the time, and didn't have a camera with me...
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've heard of living, dreaming photography, but never p****ing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was asked the question by a person who came up to me when I was using my Kiev 88cm mlu with a ZCJ 180mm f/2.8. It turned out he was working as a architecture photographer who was waiting for the evening light which would light up a certain building from the right angle. We had quite a nice chat for about an hour.

"Is that a Kiev?" Never heard that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Yeah, but the really weird part of it was I was standing at a urinal at the time, and didn't have a camera with me...
    hmmmm, so...its a size thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the camera on the tripod and was about to trip the shutter. This guy walks up and stands right in front of the camera and asks "Is that a Hasselbald?" He's standing there looking at the camera that has YASHICA, in bold, right on the front. Right above the twin lens. I said something like, if you stand over here to the side you'll catch the light glinting off the name above the lens. He actually moved and looked closer. I got the shot and told him it was a Yashica C made around 1958. The next I saw coming from a mile away. "Is that one of those 3-D/STEREO cameras?" He then proceeded to tell me all about his new digicam (circa 2004) and all the great things it can do. So I had to ask, Can it shoot in 3-D too? :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    hmmmm, so...its a size thing?
    Was it the 80mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know your talking to a real expert when they ask "Is that a Hasselbald?" when your shooting with you HOLGA

Page 1 of 52 12345671151 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin