Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,813   Online: 1169

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate all the helpful advice here, I hadn't thought of used from bhphoto or keh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    If your aim is to spend little money, head for you nearest camera shop and go fishing in the cheap bin. If you want to really do good for your photography, especially at such a large thread size, shop around, but come off your low dollar amount or you will get what you pay for.

As for filters, I would hit the basics, red, yellow, green, blue. Get low factor filters to start with until you find out you need stronger filters. I would also get some neutral density filters (NDx2, 4 &8) and also a circ pol. You'll be set for a while. But anything worth buying will definitely run more than ten bucks.
    I havent put much thought into the ND filters, I will add to my list of things to experiment with.
    I have a circ pol at 58mm and that is fine because the only lens I have for the 67mm are ultra wide.

I am using these on a pile of different cameras, I just plan to use step ups since most of my lenses are 58 or 52. 67mm isnt so big, and I dont plan to own a lens big enough to move up to 72mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl A View Post
    Here is an inexpensive set from Tiffen, if you want to buy new. My preference is B+W but they do cost more. I would also agree with other posters to check used. B&H also has a used section, for example, or try KEH.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Black_and.html
    I can deal with that, its not too much over my bargain hunting dream.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    You might try buying used from B&H or KEH.

Jeff
    Excellent advice from Jeff. You might also try this site http://www.filterfind.net/Home.html They have new stock, new in old packaging, used, etc. My experiences with them have been good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you price filters, you'll find a significant increase in cost from 58mm to 67mm. And stepping up to 67mm will probably preclude the use of a hood. So consider whether the additional cost is justified for the one 67mm filter size lens you have.

A "wanted" ad in the classifieds here might turn up something useful. Used filters sell pretty cheap. And sellers here (as well as some other sites) tend to be more reliable in descriptions than the norm on ebay.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found better prices with Tiffeneven at Calumet and they are every bit as good as H|oya.B&Ware overpriced in my opinionor at least Idon't understand their price justification.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I try to find as many old style B&W filters I can find. Not thin mounts, not multi coated. Lots of front thread on the filter.
    What is the idea behind a long(-er) front thread?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought most of my filters for under $5 from the local thrift store and honestly the majority was $1. I probably have 30 different filters to play with in different thread sizes. I figured for a buck i can't go wrong compared to the cost of new filters. However, you are only going to find what was donated to the thrift store if you're going this route.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But 67mm filters are a rarity at rummage boxes and fleamarkets etc. to my experience.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What is the idea behind a long(-er) front thread?
    Only that that is a marker for the age of the filter. These are less expensive and less desirable to the new marketing. They are more likely to vignette if stacked but a polarizer is held more firmly to another filter with more turns to the screw.
    And besides they are heavier and more solid, which appeals to my luddite aesthetic.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    As you price filters, you'll find a significant increase in cost from 58mm to 67mm. And stepping up to 67mm will probably preclude the use of a hood. So consider whether the additional cost is justified for the one 67mm filter size lens you have.
    Good point, but I plan to acquire another lena with a 67mm thread.

Also hoping to get a 6x6 system someday. I am guessing they have a few larger ring sizes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin