Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,280   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recomend some filters for B&W

Hey, I need some basic filters for b&w.
    I have determined that 67mm is the size that I want, no plastic.

I think I want non-coated glass filters. I haven't looked very hard at pixel peeping sites regarding image quality, but I cant imagine my photography will suffer from the lack of cutting edge metallic coatings. I want durability and easy cleaning so plain glass should work fine. I just tried some used lenses off ebay and the coatings are damaged. Its weird how it looks like oil on the lens, but nothing cuts it, so waste of money and time fooling with that.

Are there off brands that you think are worthwhile? If I had tons of cash, I would just order B&W, but I don't. Their filters would cost more than I spent on the cameras/lenses I am using. I can;t justify that to myself or the wife.

I would like to buy a yellow, a red and a green, in that order of priority and spend under $30 total if possible.

Let me know where I am off my rocker here, I am a novice to b&w phot, in case that isn't obvious. Only filter kit I have is for my Yashicamat 124. Not so useful on a SLR.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a lot of Hoya glass filters, they seem to be high quality and are usually more reasonably priced than B&W, Heliopan, etc.

$10 a filter is stretching is a fair bit but, for example, you could get the three filters you need for $100 on eBay. Otherwise around $40/each at B&H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of the big names, Hoya is generally much the cheapest, though not quite as cheap as what you're looking for. I do have a couple of off-brand eBay filters---Omax is the only brand I can remember for them---and they seem to work fine, for what that's worth.

I think you do want coated filters, though, mainly for flare control rather than theoretical improvements in image quality. At least for the yellow filter, which most people seem to use more than any other, splurge a little and get a coated one.

Personally I use green more than red, to help separate different green shades in foliage.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If your aim is to spend little money, head for you nearest camera shop and go fishing in the cheap bin. If you want to really do good for your photography, especially at such a large thread size, shop around, but come off your low dollar amount or you will get what you pay for.

As for filters, I would hit the basics, red, yellow, green, blue. Get low factor filters to start with until you find out you need stronger filters. I would also get some neutral density filters (NDx2, 4 &8) and also a circ pol. You'll be set for a while. But anything worth buying will definitely run more than ten bucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    If your aim is to spend little money, head for you nearest camera shop and go fishing in the cheap bin. If you want to really do good for your photography, especially at such a large thread size, shop around, but come off your low dollar amount or you will get what you pay for.

As for filters, I would hit the basics, red, yellow, green, blue. Get low factor filters to start with until you find out you need stronger filters. I would also get some neutral density filters (NDx2, 4 &8) and also a circ pol. You'll be set for a while. But anything worth buying will definitely run more than ten bucks.
    Best advice IMHO!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like orange filters. A bit stronger than yellow, but not as much as red. Yellow and Orange are mostly what I use to manage sky tones. I've picked up plenty used, you can go on ebay and get a grab-bag of used filters, or pick them up at lawn sales, etc.. But it's something you can keep forever even after you change cameras, so there's no harm in buying a nice coated new one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Coating issues will rarely affect your photos, especially if they're only on the front element.

I've had good results w/ orange too, especially w/ dark complected people, but my favorites are yellow and red. I've grown especially fond of red, which surprises me, but it does a good job of making colors turn out "right" w/ B&W film. If you have a camera w/ a low top shutter speed, the 3 stops can come in handy by letting you shoot more wide open on a sunny day w/ 400 ISO film. Red will give you a nice contrast bump too.

I don't blame you for going toward the less expensive filters. In my real world experience, I've found it's more important to have a good hood, and filters w/o haze or too many scratches. People can quote you all manner of facts on light transmission and the benefits of multicoating. I've never seen any difference in my photos that was attributable to expensive, or inexpensive, filters.

The following shots were w/ yellow, then orange, then red filters. You'll notice a big tonal difference in the stacked kayaks and building sides.

On the portrait, it was orange followed by red. Nikkormat FT2 w/ non ai 50 2.0 and Tri-X in D76. The light probably changed a little on the portraits, but the surfer that was painting was shot in constant light for all 3 shots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small c27 H50 Y Fltr.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	79639

Name:	small c28 H50 Or Fltr.jpg 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	79640

Name:	small c29 H50 R Fltr.jpg 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	79641

Name:	small c14 H50 Or Fltr.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	79642

Name:	small c15 H50 Y or R Fltr.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	79644
    Last edited by momus; 01-05-2014 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I try to find as many old style B&W filters I can find. Not thin mounts, not multi coated. Lots of front thread on the filter. they can be cheapish on the bay. One pain to avoid is the difficulty in getting non brass filters apart if the threads bind.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here is an inexpensive set from Tiffen, if you want to buy new. My preference is B+W but they do cost more. I would also agree with other posters to check used. B&H also has a used section, for example, or try KEH.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Black_and.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try buying used from B&H or KEH.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin