Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,837   Online: 790

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    You discovered the first noble truth of Buddhism. Life is stressful, and in big part the stress is the result of our own actions ;-)
    Well I'm a Christian, but I believe I understand what you mean. I have decided to live my life as stress-free as possible(although there are times when I do get stressed beyond control, then I pray !)

PREPARATION is the key I've found. Having things laid out(not like clothes the night before, but say in planning a birthday party for someone, for instance)... Having a plan; at least a sketch, not a beautifully-drawn set of blueprints for life is key to being prepared. Not living a "predictable" lifestyle, but one that is easy to maintain, but still allows for uninhibited growth(while under maintenance to make sure it grows correctly).

Being 25yo, almost 26, I'm glad I've come to recognize this aspect of my life early on before more time, energy and money went to waste. Priorities have changed for me, and I now want to work, travel, visit friends and family more, rather than sitting on a computer(even reading APUG ), or even making pictures. Experiences we've had, and can recollect in our minds weigh nothing, equipment we schlep around weighs a lot in comparison. Same with life. Stress weighs us down, but good experiences, positive time with friends and family props us up, and lifts our spirits out of the muck. Almost transcendental(well, maybe that's a bit far !)

Thanks for letting me 'spill the beans' about my experience with this, but I don't wish others to go down this path that I've journeyed for 5+ years too long. I wish I had been to this point of mental clarity 4yrs ago. Alas, it must have been for a reason, and now I'm moving onto a new stepping stone in life.

Happy 2014 ya'll, thanks for letting me share my experience

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At some point G.A.S. like any obsessive behaviour becomes mental illness, I'm not qualified to know at what point.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    At some point G.A.S. like any obsessive behaviour becomes mental illness, I'm not qualified to know at what point.
    I don't know if I could/would group myself into the category of "addict", but it became an addiction to buy. That's for sure. Maybe like some women and shoes (ducking head now )

I bought stuff I *planned* on using, used all of it at least a few times, but much just sat around until I re-sold it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I have GAS – I go and buy some B&W papers, or some film and chemistry. Only cameras that I am still buying are cheap flea market founds – I play a little and then sell on big auction site for 1€ start .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    GAS: Think quality, not quantity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    ... but I don't wish others to go down this path that I've journeyed for 5+ years too long. I wish I had been to this point of mental clarity 4yrs ago. Alas, it must have been for a reason, and now I'm moving onto a new stepping stone in life. ...
    Growing up is fun and exciting, eh? Congratulations. But have no regrets about your "past" life. Always remember how fun it was... even if you change your approach. But also remember that you are who you are, so be patient with yourself as you go through life's transitions. Not bragging... but I'm the man you say you wish you were. if I were to have one regret in life (which I don't, but if I did) it would be not having enough fun when I was 18 - 25. I was and still am a bit of a bore; all I cared about was school and work and fun came after that. I actually had plenty of fun but all of my friends always had a lot more fun than did I. I still have and use the first camera I own (in each format) and I have very few that are "collectable". I would be still driving the first car I owned (a real pice of sh!t that kept me turning wrenches and having grease perpetually under the fingernails) if it didn't die from old age. All of my buddies drove "cool" cars while mine just got me where I needed to go (most of the time). Oh, well, the motorcylcle was fun but I'm glad that phase is over. I must be part cat because I should have died a couple of time from that. Fortunately I am still on my first wife... which is a major compnent of happiness in my life. Enjoy your next 5 or 10 years in your new configuration and then try marriage and kids! Happy New Year Dan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless one is pursuing science as a career, most lives are nonproductive as a whole. We waste more time doing non-essential things because we can; we choose to do them. Photography, collecting gear, web surfing, it all falls into the same category. It's always easier to do the easy thing. That's why they call it easy.

Nothing new here folks. It's just human existance.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm

Iowa, huh?

I am loathe to argue with someone from Ioway, a place which I have a long-standing attachment to, but science is the only discipline that is worthwhile? Look around you. Our science and stupidity are destroying our fragile planet. As the poet said, "man(kind) is the cancer of the planet." And a lot of man-kind-ofs with slide rulers got us here (with a lot of help from other folks).
    But back to GAS. I have collected close to 100 cameras and lenses, mostly analog, but with a new year adawning I am beginning to use them.
    I will be attempting to use 35mm film in cameras designed for 127. I have 4x5 and 2 1/4 x 3/14 cameras I am assembling from scratch and will try paper negatives in them when I get the FankeGraphics glued together.
    Then there is glass negatives and Tintypes I want to try.
    I purchased an ancient Kodak Rainbow #2 camera which has a cardboard frame and want to see what quality I can wring out of it.
    My first camera, from before 1950, was a Brownie Reflex. I now have another copy and will see if I an get a photo half as good as the one I shot of a steam engine when I was 12.
    If anyone thinks I could pass up a Yashicamat in very fine condition that boasts two German-made lenses is wacko. Especially at the tiny price I paid.
    Shrinks will tell you that doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome is "insanity." Engineers, bless 'em, say no, it is "testing."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Unless one is pursuing science as a career, most lives are nonproductive as a whole. . . .
    ??? Science is fascinating and sometimes productive. However, I live in farming country. People have to eat. Most of my neighbors are quite productive. Science can come later. I'm too dumb and too poor to be a farmer, but can afford an accumulation of cameras. It's rarely productive, but a lot more fun than the tedious long hours my neighbors need to feed us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Unless one is pursuing science as a career, most lives are nonproductive as a whole.
    In addition to what others have said, let me say with high confidence that many lives spent in scientific careers are "nonproductive" too! I've seen the academic publish-or-perish game at close range, and it results in a lot of people doing research because they need something to publish, not because a problem needs solving.

I don't mean to diss basic research, which is incredibly valuable and important as a whole, but the mechanisms for awarding grants, tenure, and professional prestige in academia can get almost totally decoupled from the realistic value of the research. When I was finishing my thesis and deciding not to apply to academic jobs, a fairly prominent mathematician told me that he thought the average readership of a published mathematical paper was slightly less than one, even if you included the referees.

Much depends on what you mean by "productive", of course. Whatever one does that draws a paycheck, it's "productive" in the sense that someone thinks it was worth paying for, right? And it puts food on your family, finances your camera addiction, and keeps a person from becoming an idle, destructive vacuum with nothing to do with their lives.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin