Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,174   Online: 1021
      
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49
  1. #31
    darkosaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Life is good, never look back, life is short. Take a picture it will last longer.
    +1
    Amen .

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Life is good, never look back, life is short. Take a picture it will last longer.
    We had a couple over for Christmas eve dinner this year and I gave that wife prints of she and my wife and their sons, just before her son left for college the prior Summer. He eyes teared up and she mentioned they had almost no 'paper pictures'. At that moment I knew I had made a good choice to stay with analog.

    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    We had a couple over for Christmas eve dinner this year and I gave that wife prints of she and my wife and their sons, just before her son left for college the prior Summer. He eyes teared up and she mentioned they had almost no 'paper pictures'. At that moment I knew I had made a good choice to stay with analog.

    s-a
    What a wonderful place APUG is! I continuously learn new and surprising ideas and facts on it.

    Did you really mean to say that images captured with a digital device can't be printed?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,922
    thanks randy, and s-a

    perspective is a great thing.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

    website
    blog
    sell-site

  5. #35
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,664
    I find personally that being happy with what I have liberating, I realized more than thirty years ago that buying more and more equipment doesn't solve anything, and that most of the Worlds most legendary photographers had become so with less and in some cases inferior equipment to that which I already owned.
    I have only bought 2 cameras in the last 25 years to replace ones that were faulty and uneconomical to have repaired
    Ben

  6. #36
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,161
    Images
    288
    I find that I really only NEED one camera and a couple of lenses. But a few of my handful of cameras have sentimental value, which means I keep them around. Since they are around I use them, and since I use them I sometimes get in geek mode and look at filters, lens shades, a new lens, a new film back, or whatever, and end up adding to the pile.
    But with a grand total of six cameras that I actually use, I don't think I have a problem.

    I dream about the anti-GAS existence where I only have one camera to use, maybe two. Of course I'd have a back up for each one, an extra body, a few extra backs, and so on, but simplicity appeals to me more and more as I age.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  7. #37
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I find that I really only NEED one camera and a couple of lenses. But a few of my handful of cameras have sentimental value, which means I keep them around. Since they are around I use them, and since I use them I sometimes get in geek mode and look at filters, lens shades, a new lens, a new film back, or whatever, and end up adding to the pile.
    But with a grand total of six cameras that I actually use, I don't think I have a problem.

    I dream about the anti-GAS existence where I only have one camera to use, maybe two. Of course I'd have a back up for each one, an extra body, a few extra backs, and so on, but simplicity appeals to me more and more as I age.
    I have six cameras too Thomas which I don't think is excessive for someone who has been into photography for over 60 years.
    Ben

  8. #38
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,362
    Images
    1
    retail therapyis a verycommonmyth. pride of ownership is very real.I'm as much of a gearhead as the next guy, but to my protection ,I'm to cheap to overspend.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    retail therapyis a verycommonmyth. pride of ownership is very real.I'm as much of a gearhead as the next guy, but to my protection ,I'm to cheap to overspend.
    There's overspending and there's overspending. I don't regret getting a 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and a center filter for it. Two used items, two transactions. Even bought somewhat below market neither was inexpensive but there's nothing else that will do what they do. I sold a lens that was effectively a flea market (eBay before many people knew what was what) find to pay for both but the purchases were still two ouches. Understand, one 35/4.5 AG is enough. Two would be wretched excess and then some.

  10. #40
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    As a recovering G.A.S.-oholic, I , too, am more than familiar with the pitfalls of gear acquisition. I cannot count the Minolta sr- / X- camera systems I have purchased over the years. I know that when I would find myself to have too much gear (I know, the horror...) I would invariably offer a starter kit to a friend who had expressed interest, at least a dozen times. The Mamiya and Bronicas, the 4x5 cameras (3 of them). And the lenses and assorted accoutrement. It boggles the mind.

    Had I saved all of that hard earned dough and sunk it into he gear I now own I could have saved myself hardship and invested in Pamela Anderson paraphenelia. Alas, if I only knew then what I know now...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin