Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,492   Posts: 1,644,902   Online: 1190
      
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    What a wonderful place APUG is! I continuously learn new and surprising ideas and facts on it.

    Did you really mean to say that images captured with a digital device can't be printed?
    I mean to say she valued analog prints, but also possibly had few prints of any sort. Don't be so defensive; digital can take care of itself. (And next time don't forget to use the [snarky] and [/snarky] tags.)

    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I mean to say she valued analog prints, but also possibly had few prints of any sort. Don't be so defensive; digital can take care of itself. (And next time don't forget to use the [snarky] and [/snarky] tags.)

    s-a
    [boojum]I wasn't being snarky, I was being astonished. I'm still astonished. And if the agony in eight fits has it right, all who read this will vanish softly and suddenly away.[/boojum]. All safe now, if there are survivors.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    [boojum]I wasn't being snarky, I was being astonished. I'm still astonished. And if the agony in eight fits has it right, all who read this will vanish softly and suddenly away.[/boojum]. All safe now, if there are survivors.
    Why are you astonished that someone might prefer analog wet prints? Why are you astonished that there are still people alive who automatically think of analog wet prints when someone says "prints" or "photographs"? Do their preferences, does their history, count for nothing in the face of your digital new found land? How can you, after 3k posts to a site like APUG, possibly be astonished by someone, who might very well have grown up with wet prints, actually having the unmitigated gall to prefer them? How?

    Let me tell you something Dan. I don't give a rat's ass if people care for one or the other; I know I've made the right choice for me, and those prints I gave to a friend were the right choice for her. And when I'm out there with a beaten up SLR it's the people with digital cameras that make ignorant remarks like 'I didn't know they still made film'. It's the digital strangers who walk up to me in Pennsylvania buffet restaurants and say 'By the way, I like your camera, it's really cool'. It's digital tourists who smile at me benignly but with a look in their eye that says 'why does he use that, he knows something I don't'. I don't imagine this stuff Dan, it really happens to me. Maybe they're just weak, in which case you're better off preaching to them than to me. If you want to be astonished talk to them. That'll do it.

    Meh, now I've thrown me off my Grahams...

    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Why are you astonished that someone might prefer analog wet prints? Why are you astonished that there are still people alive who automatically think of analog wet prints when someone says "prints" or "photographs"? Do their preferences, does their history, count for nothing in the face of your digital new found land? How can you, after 3k posts to a site like APUG, possibly be astonished by someone, who might very well have grown up with wet prints, actually having the unmitigated gall to prefer them? How?

    Let me tell you something Dan. I don't give a rat's ass if people care for one or the other; I know I've made the right choice for me, and those prints I gave to a friend were the right choice for her. And when I'm out there with a beaten up SLR it's the people with digital cameras that make ignorant remarks like 'I didn't know they still made film'. It's the digital strangers who walk up to me in Pennsylvania buffet restaurants and say 'By the way, I like your camera, it's really cool'. It's digital tourists who smile at me benignly but with a look in their eye that says 'why does he use that, he knows something I don't'. I don't imagine this stuff Dan, it really happens to me. Maybe they're just weak, in which case you're better off preaching to them than to me. If you want to be astonished talk to them. That'll do it.

    Meh, now I've thrown me off my Grahams...

    s-a
    s-a, what on earth is the matter with you? You wrote

    He eyes teared up and she mentioned they had almost no 'paper pictures'.
    'Paper pictures' are prints, with no indication at all of how they were made. Interpreting 'paper pictures' as what you would call analog prints is dumb.

    I don't understand why you think I'm a proponent of digital. I shoot Graphics and Cambos, can't afford a digital back for any of them. I recognize, however, that digital is here to stay. Whether film is here to stay is an interesting question that I can't answer. The omens, at least for those of us who shoot color, aren't as good as I'd like. We can only hope that movie theaters in the rest of the world don't switch to digital projectors.

    Before you try to breathe fire on me again, read what I wrote. I don't advocate any technology.

    I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely and persecuted, regret that its likely to get worse. Take two rats asses and call in the morning if you're not feeling better.

  5. #45
    DanielStone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,100
    Images
    1
    boy, some folks sure are gassy here, this place is startin to stink of bad attitudes

    ah heck, this is the internet folks, not some pity party mushy face session where we pump fists and grind our teeth at the guy/woman/person/thing at the other end of the line/world, whatever... we're here to support each other, talk photo, not tear each other down for misconstrued(maybe?) one-liners or misunderstood internet grammar...

    now, lets all make up, and make friends. cuz cameras can't hug you back, but friends can(as long as you have a good attitude and you're not too stinky)

    night night

    -D

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,734
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    boy, some folks sure are gassy here
    -D
    Dan, I've been wondering how best to respond the first post in this thread. You wrote it.

    My, you were gassy.

    I'm glad that you changed direction and are happier with what you're doing than you were before the change. But your new direction is yours and not everyone shares your preferences.

    IMO the best policy is to accept that and let people do what pleases them, whether or not its what you would do. Be glad that they're happy going their various ways, and go your own way.

    Cheers,

    Dan

    p.s., so you'll know, that little 45/8 Dagor you sold me is now in an adapter that holds it in a #1. It just covers 2x3 (ok image in the corners) but the corners are a little dark due to mechanical vignetting (in the lens, the shutter and adapter are innocent). On the whole a 47 SA is a better lens for 2x3. And now we know. I don't regret buying it from you.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,780





  8. #48

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    266
    Perhaps I was traumatized by Peter Pan... in all seriousness wisdom does not come from doing it right. It is the effort results in zero or negative consequences that give us perspectve and the more areas of exploration the larger that coverage circle gets. Keep on learning at what ever rewards your mind and your soul. And when the grand plan of the moment fails check off the result box and regroup for your next try. My failures give me pause.. and the ability to say .. I'm retired.. take your time... I am the customer that is not in a rush. And a good day is breathing air, taking nourishment, and not being on life support. Been there done that near death experience thing. Give yourself some favour, and beyond constructive go light on self criticism. See the horizon.. there is somewhere out there waiting to be discovered. Ok I'll get off my stump by saying that I agree with every one of you. Because you know you best.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin