Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,484   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"G.A.S" and the dangers of internet fora/ebay on one's sanity & financial well-being

Hey all,

I've decided to construct this short write-up to talk about "G.A.S". G.A.S. meaning that bloated, sickening feeling some(dare I say many?) internet forum readers get when they've acquired too much photographic gear. I'm writing this as a former addict/G.A.S. sufferer. I'm not writing this as a tell-you-what-to-do, as that's best done on a case-by-case basis(since we're all individuals!).

A small bit of background:
    I am a nerd, a self-described camera nerd. I like gear. I like the technology and how it works. I am a product of the late 80's, and had two grandfathers who were in the engineering/construction trade. Therefore, many of my early childhood Christmas and birthday gifts from them were legos, tinker toys, Meccano sets, etc... I love building, designing, improving, updating things. "Stock" doesn't work for me most of the time, I believe in tailoring one's tools to their needs. Long story short, when I was introduced to photography, I instantly wanted to buy camera stuff. I started digital(small superzoom Kodak digicam purchased with money earned working a summer job during HS), but was gifted a Pentax K1000 and in my senior year of high school(2005-2006), I was introduced to medium format. HOG HEAVEN! Big, luscious 6x7 RB67 negatives/transparencies(these were what got me hooked!) that a friend(now RIP) introduced me too. Well, I had to have one. 18yrs old saw me starting a checking acct, putting my $2k of saved earnings from the prior year's summer working in a warehouse(under the table mind you!), and opening and eb** account. That right there(eb**) was the bees-knees to the photographic gear I so longed for(and THOUGHT I "needed" to succeed)!
    Well 'this' led to 'that', which has repeated itself over so many times(I've never kept a tally of everything I've had in my hands, but it's been a lot)
    Fast forward to today, 2014(wow, time flies)! A new year, and a cleaner sense of life, a vastly slimmed-down profile of gear to use in my closet, and a much cleaner vision of what to use, and when to use it.
    Do I regret this decision to slim myself down equipment-wise? Yes, and no. I've realized that I had too much, and whilst standing amongst my things this past summer, I realized it was ALL TOO MUCH. Too much of this, too much of that. Time to downsize. I made up a list of everything I had used in the past month, and have pretty much sold the rest off. I decided I no longer wanted to be a "collector", but a user. I don't baby/coddle my equipment anymore. I don't give a hoot if a new scratch, bump or mark shows up on a piece of equipment. As long as it works as intended, and doesn't give me a hard time, I use it and don't really care about it's potential resale value.

I calculated(roughly) that if I had stuck with much of my 1st purchases(for each format), I'd have saved enough time(I value my time at $50/hr, not gloating, just stating a fact) to put $15,000 in the bank. Maybe more, but at least $15,000. This is just TIME(chasing the next "deal", yada yada yada), not counting lost value of resale price vs original purchase price on some items. To me, $15,000 is NOT something to sneeze at, nor take lightly.

As I write this, I think of all the things I could have done with the time wasted chasing "deals"(for intention to resell, or just for myself) instead of photographing or traveling. What a waste. As I'm visiting with family here in Australia the past month(with another 2.5 weeks to go), I've realized that experiences don't have a pricetag. TIME is something you cannot get back. Once it's gone, it's gone. I used to stay up late, scrounging through ebay, craigslist(all over the country, not just LA), etc. looking for the next deal, that elusive piece of gear that I needed to "have" in my arsenal. That piece of gear that'd make me a better photographer. I was dead wrong. What a waste of time.

I see a lot of people asking "what should I do?" here, and elsewhere. I don't comment on them for the most part now, primarily because only THEY(themselves) can answer that question as to what THEY need to do. We(as the outsiders) can only give facts, and share OUR experiences if we have ones to share.

This commercial(below) pretty much sums up the really screwed up life I see many young people living now. They live their lives looking at a screen, rather than engaging others and sharing experiences(or just living themselves). Is travel cheap? No, not really. But taking 1 trip a year(even for a long weekend) can solve a lot of issues, even if you don't take a single picture. Just get out, stop chasing gear, stop chasing those "magic bullets" that we HOPE will make us a better photographer. Use what we have available to us, and if we still cannot find ourselves able to cut it, and the only variable to reaching that pinnacle we want IS the equipment, THEN search for another tool to achieve that goal.

Sorry if this seems/ed like a rant or madman's oration, but I felt it needed to be written. Maybe only for myself; perhaps someone out there in internet-land will concur(not that I'm asking for felicitations or anything). But I do not wish for anyone to chase faeries solely for the sake of photographic satisfaction, or to appease that little voice in your head that sometimes states boldly: "You need more!". Today, my cameras are just that: tools to create with. Just like a painter's brushes, they each have different capabilities, and different ways of working, allowing for varied results at the end. I pick and choose based upon that end result desired. Be it a 5x7 sheet of film, or a cell phone in my pocket; different tools for different jobs.

Think before you act(or purchase). That's all I can recommend. Of course it's your wallet, your sanity, your household and your life. I just wish you the best in your endeavors.

All the best for 2014, get out there and photograph more! Check out the Classifieds sections, just don't live there. Gear is replaceable, lost time and experiences are not.

cheers,
    Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Cool, and thanks to you and other writings like yours I curbed my Gas attack before it started. I still look for great deals on gear in the physical world [and Apug clasifieds!] and find them occasionally. Finds are much more rewarding that way. Occasionally I find something amazing that requires another item to use it and try it out and there is eb** for that. I also find great deals and sell them to pay for film. I do enjoy trying out new (old) equipment to see if it informs my work, but that idea that equipment will make you a better photog is a false argument.

The "your camera doesnt matter" page for Ken Rockwell's site helped keep things in perspective as well.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's not a madman's oration at all. I think we're in the same boat here. I graduated college in '07 and landed a full time teaching job right away, giving me a full-time salary as well. Of course, one thing led to another and I found myself chasing "magic bullets" on ebay all the time. Once or twice (maybe more) a month a package would be waiting for me when I come home, with what I was hoping would be "just what I've always wanted". After a year or two of this, I ended up with more photo and darkroom gear than I could ever need. I soon found that there were cameras I used all the time, and others that just took up space. I would buy one that was highly recommended, only to find it was a complete pain in the you-know-what and did not fit in with my photographic style at all.

My cameras aren't kept in a display case, and I don't wear cotton gloves when using them. In fact the majority of my photography happens while hiking, camping, canoeing, or other backcountry travel. I take best possible care of them, but still things get wet and dirty. What's the point in having nice things if they're just going to sit at home? Cameras are just tools. The end viewer of a photograph doesn't care what you used, as long as you can convey your artistic intentions. A great photograph can come from any camera, whether Rollei, Leica, Yashica, or Holga. I couldn't agree more with the advice to keep only what you use, and pass along the rest!

Although I do have to add, I'm very thankful to have stocked up on film. I started buying at a time when lots of pros were cleaning out their studios, and great Velvias, Provias, and Ektachromes (and bricks of B&W!) were available for a pittance. My freezer has enough to live off for years!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have seventy two film cameras. This will be seventy three when my newly purchased Bronica S2 turns up!

Half of them are a collection I started about ten years ago and the other half are my father's collection which I inherited a few years ago.

I think I am as much a fan of vintage cameras as I am of photography.

In real life, I am an electrronics engineer but I am generally more impressed by a mechanical solution to something than an electronic/programming solution.

You only have to take apart a Compur shutter to see real ingenuity in design. Then add the fact that it was designed on a drawing board without the benefit of CAD and 3D modelling to trial things before commiting to tooling (which is expensive if you get it wrong) and you will realise what a great achievement these things are.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    whenever I start cruising KEH's website and building a new camera system,
    I know it's time to go out and use the camera's I've already got

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    whenever I start cruising KEH's website and building a new camera system,
    I know it's time to go out and use the camera's I've already got
    Hmmm. What an interesting idea!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You discovered the first noble truth of Buddhism. Life is stressful, and in big part the stress is the result of our own actions ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great post. I agree, it's more than the money, it's all the time ill spent that is lost forever. I finally got all the gear swapping out of my system by buying nearly everything in sight, reselling it, and keeping what worked. Nearly always the only people that make money on these transactions are ebay and paypal. Since I hate both companies, it was fun getting away from them. The gear swapping had it's positives. Now I know what all these lenses/cameras can do, so no need to buy them again. I still buy a little more than I need, but it's cheap stuff, a lot of which is in marginal condition and gets repaired by me. That's enjoyable, and if it doesn't go as planned I'm out $15. Not a tragedy. The internet addiction I find is much harder to break, as there are a multitude of things to be done w/ that besides buying and selling. Putting a time limit on your usage is about all you can do, save from just disconnecting the thing.

There's usually a translation issue w/ Buddhist tests. One other way to look at this is that life is inherently temporary and conditional, which irritates us, as we want permanency in an impermanent world. Fortunately, there is a way out of this situation. It's very instructive to see that getting what we desire never leads to any lasting happiness, it just sets up a feeling of vague dissatisfaction and a reflexive desire for something else as soon as we get what we want. The grass is always greener and all that.
    Last edited by momus; 01-06-2014 at 06:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You only have to take apart a Compur shutter to see real ingenuity in design.
    Taking a shutter apart is easy enough. It takes real skill to put it back together in working order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Taking a shutter apart is easy enough. It takes real skill to put it back together in working order.
    So is the life!!!
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin