Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,810   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: magic bullet

I once rented a medium format Noblex panoramic camera. It allowed me to do several things no cameras I'd used previously could do. It was a blast to use and I turned out a series of images unlike anything I'd done before or have done since. If I owned one, I'd probably grow tired of the effect. Too bad they're no longer made. Doubly too bad I couldn't afford to own one then or now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Goerz Dagor lenses. When I started using and contact printing 8x10 in the late '80s, a 300mm Doppel-Anastigmat Symmar (a Dagor clone, every bit as good as the Goerz lens) was my first and for 8-10 months my only lens. When I saw what that type of lens puts on a negative, I fell in love - I remember thinking "this is what I've wanted photos to look like, and I didn't even know it". I now have about half a dozen of the things...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My "magic bullet" I have acquired in recent years that has had a profound effect on my work have been a moderate wide angle lens my Canon 35 f2 Thorium lens because it's the lens that gives the best performance throughout it's aperture range that I have ever owned, and seems to defy the laws of physics because even at full aperture the edge resolution is almost as good as at the centre, and since I've had it have probably used it more than any other I own.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, a clean Summar will give you photos that no other lens is capable of. Ditto on my Leica R 90 Elmarit (would prefer a Summicron, but the Elmarit was cheap). Of course, if you have a great subject, nail the exposure and focus, etc, most any good lens will give you a great shot. So yes, there are magic bullet lenses out there (beauty being in the eye of the beholder), but there's a lot more to it than that.

One quick, painful trip to flickr will show that having a Leica M9/Hasselblad/Rolleiflex will not guarantee anything worthwhile from a lousy photographer. Or, just because I might use the equivalent brushes and paints that Georges Rouault used doesn't mean I am capable of doing what he did. To put it mildly. But don't tell the dentists that.
    Last edited by momus; 01-06-2014 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In LF 8x10 is my magic bullet my Kodak 305 Portrait lens and my 360mm Universal Heliar and the last is my 480mm f4.5 Xenar, in 4x5 inch its my 250 Imagon and for sharpness my 240mm Sinaron SE.
    In Digital is it my D800 which is the first camera which I often see more on the picture the I saw on shooting.

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    35mm
    Isolette I with portra. First medium format camera and first roll of 120 film in the magic hour. Magic images.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The magic bullet is your determined by your own imagination.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No matter how many GAS iterations I go through, no matter if I shoot film or digital, I most often use Canon 50 f1.8. Does that make it my magic bullet?

Shooter
    Large Format
    For me the magic was found in wooden view cameras in excess of 100 years old. Fine wood crafted by a master craftsman. Lenses what require that you calculate and insert the stop, and then count the seconds that pass. Photographic films and plates that simply refuse to see as the eye would have it. And ultimately, the picture that reflects the flaws inherent to the entire process. That's where I've found the magic.

Last edited by DannL.; 01-06-2014 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Goerz Dagor lenses. When I started using and contact printing 8x10 in the late '80s, a 300mm Doppel-Anastigmat Symmar (a Dagor clone, every bit as good as the Goerz lens) was my first and for 8-10 months my only lens. When I saw what that type of lens puts on a negative, I fell in love - I remember thinking "this is what I've wanted photos to look like, and I didn't even know it". I now have about half a dozen of the things...
    Emil, when my ex-F135 38/4.5 Biogon came back from Grimes in a proper Copal shutter I fell madly passionately hopelessly in love with what it did and couldn't bring myself to use another lens for several months. All this in parts of NJ where nothing is very far away. And then I took a shot of the Mono Lake basin from the scenic overlook on 395. All of the interesting details were far, far away and the air was filled with haze. That broke the spell. Great lens, but not right for every possible shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin