Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,934   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Huh

Who is not a Neanderthal? Are you insulting my heritage? I adore b&w and only use that Gidgetal-ditital stuff when I absolutely must. Today I am leaving my cave with a swell-looking Yashica J rangefinder loaded for Sabre-tooth tiger, not bear, and ASA 50 b&w film. If I run into any of those humanoids I will hide. They are mean and look funny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do what you love and can practically afford. Enjoy photography in whatever way, shape or form you choose.
    The rest doesn't matter.

I shoot black and white only with film just because I suck at color.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far,

Colour - for expressing vibrancy, joy, happiness.
    BW - mostly for moods that are the opposite, or for expressing moods very starkly.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We should know that the word in reality is probably monochrome, not colorful at all!

There is only light - correction - there is only EM radiation of different wavelengths. It just happens that our eyes interpret certain wavelengths as certain colors, namely Red, Blue and Green. The interpretation of different combinations - hues - happen entirely in brain and is fictional!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the images that I prefer have been shot in color but I am trying like h**l to get some I like in black and white as well. I am learning, but it is slow.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A secret handshake would be nice, actually. The Shriners will be having their convention the next 2 years here in Daytona Beach, so I'll have my people contact their people.

Images
    I've done only b&w for a good number of years. I just do really like it. My grandchildren have started to occasionally ask me if it will come out in color, so for them I've accumulated several rolls of exposed color film which I finally took in for processing and had them all put on discs. There are a few frames that I really love, but I think the bottom line for me is that I like being totally in control of the final image, and I'm not with color. I just love a good b&w film print. Sometimes I get one.

I'd say, do what you like, and there's no reason to hold stubbornly to any one way. Experiment. You'll come up with something wonderful like you've never seen before. I have, and I'm not all that great, overall.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I determined a few years back that I likely would never expose another frame of color film. It was just a personal choice. Black and White, as well as film, are choices made subjectively (for me) and not based on what is "better".

I can't find the quote or the reference right now, but a little while back the photographer Carl Weese was quoted as saying something to the effect that black and white was perfected with film, but color was now coming of age in digital. So, I know I'm not the only one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Most of what I shoot is B&W (over 95%), but I do expose some colour transparancy film. I process everything myself, and for B&W I print traditionally, for colour I scan and print digitally. The colour workflow is probably more friendly to apartment living since you could easily set up a Jobo Processor to process the film, and scan and print without much requirement for dedicated space.
    Personally I find the time in the darkroom to be very relaxing and theraputic, while I am never relaxed when working on the computer, so I have a huge preference to the feeling of doing the traditional darkroom work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B&W only here, if I have to shoot something in color it's digital. Though I haven't touched my digital camera since June of last year, other than for equipment shots I've uploaded to flickr.
    Yashica-Mat 124 G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin