Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,858   Online: 1098

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I determined a few years back that I likely would never expose another frame of color film. It was just a personal choice. Black and White, as well as film, are choices made subjectively (for me) and not based on what is "better".

I can't find the quote or the reference right now, but a little while back the photographer Carl Weese was quoted as saying something to the effect that black and white was perfected with film, but color was now coming of age in digital. So, I know I'm not the only one.
    David, I am in the same boat. I have not wound on color film since 2004. I do not see that changing in the future either. I have come to love and appreciate black and white so much that I think any color photography I did would be lackluster at best. I'd be shooting color film while trying to photograph black and white subject matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My reputation in my local photo club is as a black and white photographer, because that is what I develop, print and mainly show there.

I actually had a club member exclaim in surprise "you take colour photographs too" when I displayed a colour 12x16 lab printed from a scanned colour transparency.

And I do enjoy projecting those transparencies.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW!!! Reading about everybody else's difficulty is very reassuring. Like a lot of you, I thought I was the only one struggling with this. For 3-4 years I shot only Velvia. Then for 3-4 years I shot almost exclusively B&W. Now, thankfully, I have C-41 capability so I can mix color with B&W. My local lab is a mile from where I work, but they are SO SLOPPY - dust on the scans, prints out of focus, it's just shit. I put a roll of Velvia 120 thru my 65 year old Ikonta and the slides were gloriously beautiful, but the prints were horrid. The good labs are 50 mi round trip. Yup, it's home processing from now on, but I'm probably done with e6 for a while. Until I can do it myself.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 01-11-2014 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    0000000000I'd be shooting color film while trying to photograph black and white subject matter.
    Now that I am a grandfather, I have assumed my grandchild will want color photos and have started shooting color. It is PAINFUL, but I am learning a lot.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What is the question?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started photography in about 1983 and have done mostly B&W since then, I did shoot a lot of Kodachrome once on a trip to England & Scotland, but for the most part it's been B&W - mainly for aesthetic reasons.

Shooter
    35mm
    Over the past year I have shot both black and white and colour alongside each other in different cameras. Usually my Praktica has black and white and colour in either my Trip 35 or Zenit. When I looked back over my pictures from the past year recently I tried picking out my favourites and to pick a winner for my best picture of the year. All my absolute best ones were colour, I did not expect that.

I now have a dilema. I am out of C41 film. I have also had my hours in work reduced last month that I am really struggling again. I have a pile of donated HP5 but I have no facilities to home process and cannot justify the cost of chemicals and equiptment. The C41 process black and white is too expensive and always was a luxury. It looks like the only way I can use film in the future is to get the £1 rolls at poundland. So I have decided to have a colour year. There are a few projects I would like to do in black and white but I will do mostly colour.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I put a roll of Velvia 120 thru my 65 year old Ikonta and the slides were gloriously beautiful, but the prints were horrid.
    These days all color prints are scanned and the paper is exposed with laser I believe. Scanning slides is hard, so it's hard to get a good result from this process.

Anyway slides have wider gamut than any (most?) digital scanners / displays, so reproducing them is impossible anyway.Nothing beats the feel of projected slides... I sure hope Fuji doesn't drop E6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    These days all color prints are scanned and the paper is exposed with laser I believe. Scanning slides is hard, so it's hard to get a good result from this process.

Anyway slides have wider gamut than any (most?) digital scanners / displays, so reproducing them is impossible anyway.Nothing beats the feel of projected slides... I sure hope Fuji doesn't drop E6.
    At least the colors were accurate, but not only were the highlights and shadows clipped, they were out of focus! Walking the fine line about scantalk, I've been doing it at home for years and find slides easier to scan than color neg. A few years ago a guy at a used equipment store tried to sell me a 6x6 projector with a bunch of mounts for $100. That was when I was just starting out in medium format and I passed. A regretted decision.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a while I shot about 90/10 c41/b&w but currently its all b&w and I plan to stay that way, with a DSLR sitting in a bag for boring stuff like sale images or maybe a future color project. Not only did I choose to go all b&w for aesthetic reasons, but also ease of home processing, cost, availability, future availability, wet printing, and just a preference for the whole process, I love it. It took a while for me to sort it all out, but now I know exactly how I want to shoot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin