Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,912   Online: 891

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Those of you who now shoot b/w film only ...

Over the new year I had this thought. I got into b/w which I love, I can do the processing myself not yet the printint but hopefully in the future when I get my own space (house). I still shoot slides and I have some rolls in my freezer. Due to the cost here in New Zealand ie $37 a roll of 35mm format and processing unmounted is $18US or maybe $8US additional for mounting. I have to import my film and export them to the US for processing in batches, I also don't do enought o self process nor do I trust myself.

I might continue to use slide film in medium format which I have yet to get but I do have some film in 120 format already when they discontinued E100G. I have already gave up color neg film. But I think even medium format for color slides might be dated - for easy subjects I might use it but when the light is changing fast or if I am travelling and I don't want it toast it digital provides a safe net right? Then continue to use b/w? I understand that some film photographers not necessarily just on this forum who now only shoot b/w film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use whatever you want!

Agfa Precisa is still relatively cheap, at least here in Europe. Digital is pretty cool! We are not neanderthal living in caves, most of us just enjoy traditional process for one reason or the other. We are not a secret sect with written rules and you don't need to be afraid of being expelled! Just don't forget what you love and enjoy, that's all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use/Do whatever...
    The C41 kits aren't expensive for the amount of film they'll develop.
    I do mostly B&W out of choice, not constraint.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I once viewed the book Ansel Adams In Color. After having viewed his photographs in b&w for years, I found at the moment just how much I do prefer black and white imagery over color. And I can tell which part of my brain is working when viewing a subject. If I am attracted to color and vibrancy of hue, that's the color talking. If I am drawn to line and shape and tonal separation then that's the old shades-of-gray matter at work. And nine times out of ten that is what I find myself drawn to. I am content to view the color photographs of others. I rock analog black and white. And also Jujubeans. Yeah. Rock them too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel did his B&W f64 stuff well. His color didn't inspire me either. Eliot Porter inspired me so much with color, it made me homesick and I don't get homesick.

I mostly shoot B&W and develop it myself. I do color digital as well, and a little bit of color hybrid (with Portra 160 or Ektar)

Developing color film isn't terrible. I used to do E6 myself and if you can be consistent it's pretty straightforward. I currently pay a local lab $5/roll to develop c41 (not print) and if it weren't for that, I'd consider developing them myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard it said that you aren't good, until you are good in B&W; that color can be used to "cheat" by distracting the eye.

I don't know if I would go quite that far. But I do love good B&W, because it allows me to focus on lighting and shapes/composition.

I like good color photography, as well. I just prefer to work in B&W. Perhaps it is because the addition of color adds more complexity than I can handle successfully. Who knows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    10 years ago I only shot color. 35mm slides through a Nikon F4. I loved it at the time. People asked me if I ever shot black and white and I said no way. I just loved color, loved looking for that big "calendar shot." I loved looking at the slides on the light table. Then a friend suggested black and white again about 7 years ago. "You can do the entire process yourself easily" she said. So I bought a few darkroom items to develop film and gave it a shot. It was a break-through for me and I've never looked back. I kept shooting my color slides for maybe a few more years then gave it up. Last year I brought a Nikon D800 to pick up my color shooting and take candids of family and such and never use it. Digital does absolutely nothing for me. The only thing I find it useful for is the family shots and pics for eBay. I think color now is totally different than color photography of 10-15 years ago. I'm so tired of seeing HDR shots and over edited landscapes. I think seeing what's going on with color phtography now is what fuels my passion for traditional black and white even more. But yea I'm afraid color film is dying a slow death right now. I found it hard to go shoot both black and white and color at the same time. I find it easier to go out and only shoot black and white. I prefer that way of seeing.

I should add though that while I mostly see shots in black and white every once in a blue moon I may be driving and see light so beautiful I believe only color would do it justice.
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 01-10-2014 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I go back and forth, but I feel I'm in a BW phase right now, and I plan to stay there for a while, at least for my personal work.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been almost exclusively B&W for the past year or so. Maybe like 1% of the time do I feel a photo would be better in color. But slide film looks so cool sometimes, I do intend to shoot some just to drool at the purty colors.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I brought a Pentax 67 + 105/2.4 and 30 rolls of slide/10 rolls of b&w to France this summer and loved every minute of it. No color correction filters, no light meter beyond my phone, no problem. 35mm slides just aren't the same. Yes it added to the cost of the trip but I'm not complaining.

Looking at the transparencies with a good eyepiece, I'm instantly back on the Champs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin