Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,346   Online: 974

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good buy...and a question

Ok, so some days are better than others in lots of ways. This one was good for buying film. I'm going on a short vacation and checked out where I might buy film around Naples, FL. Therein lies the question. I normally shoot B&W in medium and large format, but I'm only taking a Retina Reflex III with three lenses on this trip.

The good buy was my checking out Walgreens to see what they carry, since Google listed only Walgreens and Walmart as sources of film in that part of FL. I asked the man at the photo desk if the chain had given up selling film, since there was none on the rack. He said no, checked the rack himself and was surprised to see that I was right- there was none. I thanked him, went in search of other drug-store things I wanted and he came to find me, to tell me that there was some on the clearance shelf. Five 4-packs of Fuji print film–two ASA 400 and three ASA 200. Original price–$11.99, clearance–$1.49. Process date–6/2015.

I cleaned 'em out..., but then, you guessed that part.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    only taking a Retina Reflex III
    That's quite brave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So what's the question?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So what's the question?
    Where can one buy film near Naples, Florida?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you have great trip, Whitey!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lucky man! Have fun in Florida.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No bravery needed. The Retina is in top working condition, I have a back-up light meter and the lenses are as good as anything I own. Yes, it looks like a 1958 Oldsmobile, but it's a fashion statement too.

The question was, as Shawn indicated, where one could buy film near Naples FL. Fortunately, my day yesterday got even better. I asked a local camera shop (sells frames, digital printing, still takes in film but ships it out, has a small rack of film in 35 and 120) if there was any outdated film he might want to sell cheap (operative word, that. Remember, I'm a yankee.) He said no, and then reconsidered. After rooting around a bit, he handed me a big bag of film that had come in with a 35mm camera he bought from someone and resold to a local high school student. $5 took the lot. I got two cartridges of Kodachrome Super 8, maybe 16 rolls of slide film (Ektachrome 100 and Fuji Sensia), 3 Tmax 400, 1 TriX. I shot a quick roll of the TMax and found it to be fine at 400- no problem. Even if I throw away everything else, that's $1.25 a roll for the B&W film. The chromes will probably be given away, but, with the Photowarehouse Extreme 100 I already have, I think I'm set. I won't shoot more than 8 rolls of film while there. Shooting color print film is something I don't normally do, but hey, I've never been to Florida, don't normally take a vacation in January and don't usually shoot 35mm. Time for a whole new approach, right? I'll bring a point and shoot (Konica "Big Mini") so I can always have some color ready when I have TMAX in the Retina.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have three Retina Reflexes - and they all work!

Possibly the world record for the maximum No. of working examples in the same location!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin