Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,681   Online: 1146

Shooter
    Multi Format

19th century backgrounds

I was lucky enough to win an auction for three 19th century backgrounds yesterday and now I just have to go and collect them. I've been lusting for backgrounds like these for quite some time and now it's playtime. (Hopefully I managed to attach images of them)
    Anyone using old canvas background here on apug?
    What kind of props do you suggest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails background2.jpg   background1.jpg   background3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sitter's chair, maybe a plant stand and potted fern or a tall table for standing portraits?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please post your results. Have fun!
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will also need an urn or a plinth.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fantastic!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Those are fantastic--as a wet plate artist, I'm jealous! It's very rare finding 19th c backgrounds--very rare! Those are in beautiful condition, too. For background #1, a 19th c "fainting couch" for portraits of the ladies, or at the very least, a plush bench. A small table with a tall vase. An elegant study chair for portraits of the gents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10608.1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	80223

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_thumb41.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	80224

For the #3 background, some rough-hewn walking sticks and old canvas ruck sacks. Have fun!
    Last edited by Barry S; 01-15-2014 at 01:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm lucky enough to have a canapé (fainting couch) from the 1880s, two armchairs and a table from the 1890s but of course I need to get a fern and an urn. I will also need to get a half column (I might have to build that one myself. I'm really looking forward to testing the backgrounds. This will be fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all sounds like great fun! Please post some examples when you can.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I once read an interesting description about the use of 19th century photographic backgrounds, where they would swing the background cloth on a board behind the sitter (a sort of reverse panning effect) to create a blurred background and thus enhance the relative sharpness of the subject. I don’t know if anyone does such a technique today?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin