Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,179   Online: 859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal cases

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Metal cases

I am looking for a good quallity case to house my Hasselblad gear but also carry it to "clean" locations. Sturdy and stylish is what I am looking for.
    I looked at the british Alluminum Case company and they seem really wonderful with all that customising but I can't think of a case going for less than 700 euros if take advantage of the options.

What do you suggest?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like anything photographic, it exists in the "normal" world too, and costs a fifth of the price. Just look what an opaque tupperware costs when it's called a daylight tank!

While I could suggest Amabilia, I sincerely doubt they will meet the budget constraints. I have found a well known brand: DIY. On my last stint to the local DIY store to buy stuff to make drying racks... I found the aluminum cases, and some foam all for about $40.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same deal for me as NikoSperi. Found a reasonable quality aluminum case at one of the local big hardware store. $30CDN, bright shiney, locking latches and cubed foam for easy cut outs. Also has a removable holder in the lid that is perfect for 120 film. Holds my Nikon and my TLR, with light meter and filters. Been abusing it for over a year now and it still looks good and shiney.
    The paper label under the wrap showed it filled with tools (like any self respecting construction worker would show up with this HA!).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Zero Halliburton is the classic aluminum case. Once they were really seen as easy targets for theft, but I don't know that that's so true anymore, now that they make conventional luggage and briefcases of the same design, and there are imitators out there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    This will sound blunt but it sounds like you are about to write STEAL MY VERY EXPENSIVE CAMERA all over yourself. If you want something stylish look into a nice shoulderbag that you can put foam pads into, or some other everyday type multipurpose case. The shiny metal cases are nothing but advertisments. The best field case I ever saw a "pro" using was one of those big lunch bags. Looked like he was carrying around his lunch until he opened it and whipped out the Mamiya 645. JMO though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Hasselblad made a nice metal case. I just sold a bunch of Hassie gear for a friend. I threw in the case to the person that bought the most stuff. Nice metal case with dividers and things for storing all the little goodies. Maybe you can find a used one of these.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    This will sound blunt but it sounds like you are about to write STEAL MY VERY EXPENSIVE CAMERA all over yourself.
    Your right of course, no point in drawing extra criminal scrutiny than one can get away with (pun intended of course).
    But I find these days, most thieves don't need an excuse to steal just about anything. I even had guys checking out my stained, duct taped, beatup back pack with glints in their eyes. I once had a garbage bag of dirty laundry stolen out the back of my car.
    But it is nice to have something that looks good and is convenient to carry around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an older style suitcase from an antique mall for $22.00. Brown leather, had some side pouches in it, a divider flap for top compartment. Add foam, voila!
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I already have a leather shoulderbag which only has space for the camera with one back and lens. I have a cheap metal one which I use for storage which is good lookin but kinda small. I will be expanding my system so I will need a new case which is bigger.
    The reason I am looking at a stylish one is to give a good impression for potential subjects/clients. I will not be carrying it on the street or in the countryside. For most of my shooting I will be using a Lowepro backpack.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the $30 case at the hardware store, and then carefully paint Hasselblad logos on the sides. Then, drive up in a Yugo, cleverly disguised to look like a Testarosa. It helps to have a beautiful, 20-year old Italian fashion model working as your assistant, too.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin