Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,631   Online: 985

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

a quick Leica ad...

here is a brief Leica lens advertisement...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing is hardly brief. Thanks for posting it, but I couldn't make it all the way through because it's really pretty boring and WAY too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I found that quite interesting. Wish it could have been longer.

Amazingly, I had no problem sitting still and paying attention for only 153 seconds to watch it.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the length was just right.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    saw something similar about mechanical processes, highly automated, making Canon (I think) lenses -- very automated, but seemingly very precise. Always fascinating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was kinda cool.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought the amount of dust on the lens element at 1:44 is amazing... and that she is handling lens elements with her bare hands. Hopefully she just had the gloves off for the video.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An interesting little advert. No doubt intended to get the average Leica Fanboys heart racing! lol
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
    I thought the amount of dust on the lens element at 1:44 is amazing... and that she is handling lens elements with her bare hands. Hopefully she just had the gloves off for the video.
    Typical advertising fluff, superficial to the point of being misleading. It would take a long series of one-hour programs to do any justice at all to the science of lens design and the near-art of manufacture. "Manual blackening of lens edges, for a perfect result" or some such...

When after WWII the Japanese started making cameras and lenses which were every bit as good as Leitz, Leitz realised that, even though they made exceptionally good cameras fitted with exceptionallly good lenses they couldn't compete with Japan without some kind of gimmick. In the 1950s, you could find ads for Leica in fashion magazines, travel mags, etc. This was the beginning of Leica KoolAid. Pros bought Leicas for the quality, the rest for the image. It was the image buyers that kept Leica in business, much like Rolex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure...

But I still found it interesting just to see some of the steps being performed. For example, we all know that engraving is an automated process. But I had never actually watched the tooling perform that task on a lens. Kinda' neat to see.

I'm not so much worried about secondary or tertiary ulterior motives. Just the experience of seeing and learning new things is always rewarding to me all by itself.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin