Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,889   Online: 1061
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,213
    Images
    225
    I still shoot slide film, 35mm, 120, and 4x5.

    Yes it's ALWAYS important to photograph properly and to be accurate, personally, I feel like there's a "worthyness" to shooting E-6, that you really have to be good to shoot it properly, and only the worthy can get good results (by worthy I mean someone who takes their time and exposed properly). So yes a good photographer will be accurate and careful with exposure with good results, but that's true of all images shot, or should be.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  2. #12
    fretlessdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Southern AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    267
    Images
    1
    I don't do my own hybrid workflow for E-6 stuff. Essentially, when I get slides back, I look at them on the light box, project 35mm, sometimes load MF in my enlarger and point it at the wall. When it comes time to printing, I don't want to have to mail off slides for scanning, then get scans back for editing, just to then upload or send files for printing. I strive to get the right color balance on the slide, so all I have to do is mail out slides for printing, with the note "No corrections. Print to slide."

    I've had great luck from this process. I've tried playing with color balance in my enlarger, and specifying color correction units when mailing slides, but it's not a replacement for getting it right right off the bat with filter selection, and prints will come back not quite exactly how I like them. Same thing with exposure... I strive to be dead on, and find it's easier and more economic to bracket if it's tricky than to have to send off for scans to correct myself.

    I wish there were economic options for 35mm slides, as inviting everyone over for beer, pizza, and a slideshow after a nice canyoneering/climbing/backpacking trip is always a blast... Can't have whacky color balance for that!

    Also, being that careful with C-41 (and B&W, too!) is very helpful. Scanning yourself, and I imagine RA4, are MUCH easier if the color balance and density are the same shot to shot.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

  3. #13
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,213
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    I don't do my own hybrid workflow for E-6 stuff. Essentially, when I get slides back, I look at them on the light box, project 35mm, sometimes load MF in my enlarger and point it at the wall. When it comes time to printing, I don't want to have to mail off slides for scanning, then get scans back for editing, just to then upload or send files for printing. I strive to get the right color balance on the slide, so all I have to do is mail out slides for printing, with the note "No corrections. Print to slide."

    I've had great luck from this process. I've tried playing with color balance in my enlarger, and specifying color correction units when mailing slides, but it's not a replacement for getting it right right off the bat with filter selection, and prints will come back not quite exactly how I like them. Same thing with exposure... I strive to be dead on, and find it's easier and more economic to bracket if it's tricky than to have to send off for scans to correct myself.

    I wish there were economic options for 35mm slides, as inviting everyone over for beer, pizza, and a slideshow after a nice canyoneering/climbing/backpacking trip is always a blast... Can't have whacky color balance for that!

    Also, being that careful with C-41 (and B&W, too!) is very helpful. Scanning yourself, and I imagine RA4, are MUCH easier if the color balance and density are the same shot to shot.
    Wish they made 4x5 projectors lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #14
    fretlessdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Southern AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    267
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wish they made 4x5 projectors lol
    Stanely Kubrick wasn't happy with smaller formats for projected backdrops.... So he invented an 8x10 projector for 2001: A.S.O. that projected onto a special super reflective screen 90' wide.

    I'm sure it could handle 4x5, too

    http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/2001a/page2.html
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

  5. #15
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,213
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    Stanely Kubrick wasn't happy with smaller formats for projected backdrops.... So he invented an 8x10 projector for 2001: A.S.O. that projected onto a special super reflective screen 90' wide.

    I'm sure it could handle 4x5, too

    http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/2001a/page2.html
    I'll just go ask "Stan" if I can borrow it for parties....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    691
    They made 8x10 projectors. We call them overhead projectors. See if you can get your hands on one of those and make yourself a4x5 mask and there you go. A 4x5 projector that can also handle 8x10!
    ME Super

    Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

  7. #17
    fretlessdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Southern AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    267
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    They made 8x10 projectors. We call them overhead projectors. See if you can get your hands on one of those and make yourself a4x5 mask and there you go. A 4x5 projector that can also handle 8x10!
    That's actually a great idea... I'm sure those things are cheap these days!

    EDIT: $60 with free shipping on the auction site for a refurbished school unit...
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

  8. #18
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,213
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    That's actually a great idea... I'm sure those things are cheap these days!

    EDIT: $60 with free shipping on the auction site for a refurbished school unit...
    Thanks, yes that's a way to go, sorry this is semi hypothetical for me, I have no space for such GAS. But a projector works well for 4x5/8x10
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #19
    fretlessdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Southern AZ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    267
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks, yes that's a way to go, sorry this is semi hypothetical for me, I have no space for such GAS. But a projector works well for 4x5/8x10
    Same. I'm always moving around, so I have to stay quite compact, and those are definitely NOT compact...
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I think the OP's referring to getting it right in the camera, including any color correction. A print then only needs to match the slide as closely as possible.
    2x. Got it right .. Ie you might want to use a 81 filter, or maybe 80A in other situations or maybe a 82 if you want to enhance the cool look etc. So your final result for yourself is on the slide ... and if you make prints it's to match whatever you captured in camera instead of say the lightroom or darkroom ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin