Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,756   Online: 839

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    I actually didn't know that. Last time I ordered, their options were matte, glossy, and super glossy (not even sure what that menas... maybe I'm just going crazy), so the few shots I really wanted printed on metallic paper I mailed somewhere else to be scanned, then printed through Adorama...

No reason to go anywhere besides Dwayne's then. As long as you do orders with lots of items, they're a really good deal for E-6 processing, too.
    Wait do you SEND them the film? Or do you use their ROES online ordering system and send them the file of the scanned image?

I wouldn't use Dwayne's for scanning EVER only for printing

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait do you SEND them the film? Or do you use their ROES online ordering system and send them the file of the scanned image?

I wouldn't use Dwayne's for scanning EVER only for printing
    I send them film, correct. They're scanning isn't the best, but when they're scanning with an output in mind, they do well, and match slides quite well. Never had proper drum scans, as I'm not selling any of my color work so it isn't worth the money. They do a better job than I have found with nearby places that use higher end film scanners. I also don't go over 8x10 for 35mm, 11x14 for 645. Haven't had issues yet, and I'm very happy with the results.

My usual order is to send them some slides for printing, usually a couple pages with a dozen marked for printing, along with a couple rolls of undeveloped E-6.

Maybe I just don't do enough color, but my Dwayne's prints from sending in slides come back with better colors than my digital images have ever had. I know they're not the greatest for scanning, which is why I don't push the size from them. Honestly, though, I doubt anyone could really tell a difference from my Dwayne's prints to ones where I had the frame scanned on a higher end Nikon, uploaded, and printed digitally. I'll have to ask what method they use to scan.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm close to NYC. Does anyone know who prints from the Velvia or do they scan and then print? Who do you recommend? That would be best probably because then I could stop in and see them and establish a relationship so I can get good, consistent results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm close to NYC. Does anyone know who prints from the Velvia or do they scan and then print? Who do you recommend? That would be best probably because then I could stop in and see them and establish a relationship so I can get good, consistent results.
    All E-6 film is scanned ... because that cibichrome/ilfochrome process doesn't exist anymore...

You can send it to AUSTRALIA and have it done by a few people who still have stock paper/chemistry stored... But it VERY expensive.

So scanning and printing with a light-jet (acts like an enlarger from a digital file) on RA-4 paper is the closest you can get to a print from E-6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AUSTRALIA, has Ilfochrome printing??
    At the size quoted you'd be looking at a $350 print with masking set up.
    ChromaColour Adelaide (my lab) has been gone since July 2010. Their back inventory of Ilfochrome materials were sold off during liquidation, goodness knows to who and where. Possibly Ken Duncan.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    AUSTRALIA, has Ilfochrome printing??
    At the size quoted you'd be looking at a $350 print with masking set up.
    ChromaColour Adelaide (my lab) has been gone since July 2010. Their back inventory of Ilfochrome materials were sold off during liquidation, goodness knows to who and where. Possibly Ken Duncan.
    Yeah the guy who supposedly was able to do hand processed Kodachrome at his lab also still has stock of ilfochrome paper/chems, he stocked up, but has warned that it's almost depleted...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yeah the guy who supposedly was able to do hand processed Kodachrome at his lab also still has stock of ilfochrome paper/chems, he stocked up, but has warned that it's almost depleted...

That would be Stephen Frizza in Sydney. His process does not use masking (auto-chromes?).
    Interesting about the mention of Kodachrome processing. Way forward of all that ambitious talk in another thread, not a single person came forth with the gumption to kick start it with cash — lots of it.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago, the lab use to take 4x5 internegatives of my 120 chromes and print C prints from that. Anyone do that anymore or is the light print the way to go for better quality?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not so much an argument of or for "better quality" (the judgement is up to you), but one of visible change in techniques and methods — then versus now. Lightjet/hybrid print exposure and variations is now considerably more established than the traditional wet darkroom colour print. How you judge the quality of the two methods is very subjective, but the best printers are there to please, not see you walk out teary-eyed. Yes, 4x5 internegs of 120 chromes were the usual way for Ilfochrome Classic printers here in Australia too; this of course isn't done for machine auto-chromes that do not use masking (and is thus not a good choice for critical printing).

—Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    That would be Stephen Frizza in Sydney. His process does not use masking (auto-chromes?).
    Interesting about the mention of Kodachrome processing. Way forward of all that ambitious talk in another thread, not a single person came forth with the gumption to kick start it with cash — lots of it.
    I think the consensus was, Stephen did it to know if he could, then asked how much people would pay, but was not actually offering to do it, just curious what others would theoretically pay.

When some actually approached him about it, he said no, it's too much work and time and people got mad as they assumed his question of price meant he was offering, but he wasn't.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin