Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,473   Online: 864

Thread: Pelican cases

Shooter
    35mm

Pelican cases

I'm thinking of buying a case for my 35mm stuff. I hope to fit 2 OM bodies, 3 or 4 lenses. Bonus points of I can cram in my n8008 and 50mm. Is a Pelican 1500 big enough?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a case for my 35mm stuff. I hope to fit 2 OM bodies, 3 or 4 lenses. Bonus points of I can cram in my n8008 and 50mm. Is a Pelican 1500 big enough?
    It depends on the lenses. I have a Peli 1500 that holds 2 Nikon bodies (FM2n, N8008S), each with a lens mounted (55/2.8, 35-70/3.3-4.5); two extension tubes (stacked) and two lenses (24/2.8, 105/2.8) sitting vertically; and a longer lens (200/4) sitting horizontally. There's room for a pair of Vivitar 283s and a little more. Depending on your lenses, you should be able to cram everything in.

I don't see the point of going shooting with 2 OM bodies, lenses for them, and an n8008 with a 50. Leave the Nikon gear home and if you don't have a normal lens in OM mount get one. The less you carry, the better.

Please adjust your behavior to fit your screen name. When I first contemplated getting a Pelicase, I got the catalog and laid the gear out on a table, with suitable spacing between the pieces, to find out which size case it would all fit. That's why I have a 1500, not a different model. Go do the same and stop asking questions a person with good sense could ask for itself.

And don't tell me I'm rude. That's not the right word. The word you should use is direct. Blunt will also do.

Shooter
    35mm
    The case is not for field usage; it's for storage.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like pelican cases for field use. 1500 size is pretty handy.

For fixed storage I use a metal rolling tool chest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if all you need it for is storage, why not use a cardboard box? Among other things, Pelican cases, even around the house, scream STEAL ME!!!

If you must have some sort of fancier case, go to a thrift store and see if any old video cameras have been donated -- I found one in a Halliburton case for $25. Tossed the camera, kept the case, but I still store my Nikons in an old milk crate in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any time I've ever bought cases to put my gear in, I only ended up not using it any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Please adjust your behavior to fit your screen name. When I first contemplated getting a Pelicase, I got the catalog and laid the gear out on a table, with suitable spacing between the pieces, to find out which size case it would all fit. That's why I have a 1500, not a different model. Go do the same and stop asking questions a person with good sense could ask for itself.

And don't tell me I'm rude. That's not the right word. The word you should use is direct. Blunt will also do.
    Ok, I'll tell you. You're rude. And it is the right word. Along with direct and blunt, as I'm being now.

Give the guy a break. You could have made your point without the scolding.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 Peli 1510 cases they have wheels and a long handles which is much better than carrying them,whatever model you decide on I recommend you get one with the padded dividers rather than the foam block insert, because although more expensive it's much more versatile, and you can much more in it. I use my Peli cases mainly for storage, but when travelling the 1510 model is a size acceptable by most airlines as carry on, and I carry a Domke F2 in my travel bag in my checked luggage for when I get to my destination.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Give the guy a break. You could have made your point without the scolding.
    Fair point, except that the OP has been around for a while and is still as opposed to self-help as ever. It isn't learning how to feed itself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin