Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Tripod?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Travel Tripod?

I've been looking around a bit for a tripod that is easy to take with me on trips, hiking and also for "field use" (I don't have a car, so I use public transport to move around). I currently have a Manfrotto 055BC with a 029 head, but I find that it is a little too heavy to be lugging around all day. Light weight (preferably under 2KG) and portability (folding upp to small size) is important.

I currently shoot mostly with a Hasselblad 500CM, but I'm also doing 4x5 with a Speed Graphic, so ideally I'd want the tripod to be able to support these cameras. I am however planning to exchange the Speed Graphic for a Shen Hao PTB later on (and get myself a monorail for studio use), which is considerably lighter, so full stability with a Speed Graphic isn't a must.

I'd prefer something that's around £100-200, I'd get a Gitzo if I could afford it but unfortunately that's not the case. I had my eyes on the Benro Travel Angel series, but an article I read cast some doubt on their stability.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Manfrotto 055 tripod too and agree that it's too heavy to travel with and I too am looking for a suitable travel tripod and think the Aluminium Benro Travel Angel is about the best available at around £150 is about the best affordable option because anything better is much more expensive and more than I want to pay for the few occasions I travel on.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a combination of a Feisol 3301 tripod and Vanguard Ballhead for a few years now and find the lightweight combination much nicer then my previous Bogen 3221.
    I field use this setup for both my Mamiya RB67 and Wista DXIII 4x5 without any issues to date.

Feisol 3301 & Center Column

Vanguard 250 Ballhead

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Gitzo carbon fiber with the magnesium ballhead that the tripod (without the head) folds to 21.5 inches the combined weight is about 5lbs. It holds a Hasselblad with up to the 250mm lens as well as the 150mm + 2x with no problem. I haven't tried it with my 4x5 although it is rated to hold about 18lbs. I'm not sure how it will work with the bellows fully extended and I'm not crazy about using the 4x5 with a ballhead. The Gitzos are rather costly so there may be another brand with comparable capacities. I've had mine for a number of years and use it mainly when traveling/hiking. Around town or when convenient I use a larger and heavier tripod. There are shoulder straps that make carrying a tripod easier if you don't already have one. I think Domke still market them.

You can easily find the size, weight and capacity of most tripods online or better yet if there is a camera store with a decent supply of tripods take your equipment and try it out at the shop.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have Manfrotto 055 tripod too and agree that it's too heavy to travel with and I too am looking for a suitable travel tripod and think the Aluminium Benro Travel Angel is about the best available at around £150 is about the best affordable option because anything better is much more expensive and more than I want to pay for the few occasions I travel on.
    The thing that worries me about the Benro Travel Angel is that you more or less have to extend the center column all the way to get a useable working height, and I think that would make the tripod fairly unstable and prone to vibration.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    35mm
    Try a Manfrotto 190.Not as big (tall) as a 55 but still sturdy and about half the weight. I have one fitted with a B&S head and a hexagonal quick release adapter plate and it is fine for walking with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an Induro aluminium tripod, I want to say it's the 013 model (compact, lightweight, 3-section legs). It is perfectly stable for my Rolleiflex. I have never tried putting my RB67 on it, so I can't say if it would be good for the weight of that beast or not. I wouldn't try using a 4x5 of any flavor with it - they're just too big even if they're light. On the upside, it is very inexpensive - $100 USD (which is what, 60-70 GBP)? I would take it over the Travel Angel as the leg sections seem more rigid to me. I have flown with it several times now, taking it to the wilds of Michigan, the streets of New York, and across France (Paris and Chalon-sur-Saone), as well as frequent use in bad weather (snow, rain, wind and cold) here in Washington DC.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    The thing that worries me about the Benro Travel Angel is that you more or less have to extend the center column all the way to get a useable working height, and I think that would make the tripod fairly unstable and prone to vibration.
    I've been looking into the Travel Angel Series for quite a while, but haven't seen one on person.
    I remember another member (also a Hasselblad user) mentioning having a tripod of this series and he was quite happy.
    However, it should be the higher end of the line: A2682, A2692. The former is 4 section and extends up to 1.38m, but I don't know if it's enough for WLF and/if it includes the ballhead into the measure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Try a Manfrotto 190.Not as big (tall) as a 55 but still sturdy and about half the weight. I have one fitted with a B&S head and a hexagonal quick release adapter plate and it is fine for walking with.
    I've considered this but the folded height is too long to go in my checked luggage when flying.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want even smaller and fits inside a daypack horizontal - Gitzo Traveler series I have a G1550T. Feisol also makes one like this with the 180 deg fold back design to min the storage space and MeFoto does too I think. Mine folds down to about 30 or 35cm with the ballhead, b/c it folds back 180deg the ballhead is next to the bottom of the tripod leg. 2lbs all up. You can also fit a more decent ballhead like the Markins Q3 and you can utilise the L bracket etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin