Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

photographing modern monitors, tablets, screens, phones

does anyone here have any experience photographing modern stuff as mentioned in the thread title
    ( computer monitors, tablets or phones ) ? tv's and OLD monitors have a refresh rate and i remember if didn't get the shutter speed just right
    you'd get half a screen &c ... does modern technology have a refresh rate that is the same like ac current 60c/s?

thanks in advance for your expert help
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know with TV's John it's 1/30 sec. or longer if you want to avoid the scan lines., I've never tried the other two.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am quite certain the refresh rates of modern screens is much higher than the AC current rate. I remember in the 90s having a TV, over in Sweden, that was twice the rate of the 50Hz frequency, 100Hz.

I have seen figures for the iPhone 5S being 120Hz, but can't find evidence for it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are probably right Thomas it's a long time since I did it, and all TV's were CRT in those days.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

Don't know

Have no experience with modern stuff. I do know in 1970 I used to have to go over to ABC News in New York and photograph TV monitors (for stills from video footage of the war in Vietnam). With a Nikon F you would have to hold the camera in the vertical position and with a Nikkormat, in the horizontal position, due to a difference in the way the shutters worked. Can't remember now if we used 1/30th of a second or 1/60th because of the refresh rate.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the screen not all LCD screens have the same refresh rate. The Hz number is also more marketing than true speed. Furthermore LCD do not refresh like old screens if you don't change the image the refresh rate is zero. They flicker though.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just did an experiment with the d... to make sure I was right before I said anything. LCD screens do typically refresh at 60Hz, but because they draw the whole screen at once, they aren't a problem at any speed. The problem with the old CRT screens was that they only drew half the screen on each pass and then, only one line at a time. The problem with photographing them came from that, not the refresh rate itself. You had to shoot at half the refresh rate so that you captured all the lines in both fields. With a modern LCD or OLED screen, just expose for the amount of light and account for any movement on screen to get or avoid motion blur. The refresh rate doesn't really matter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    you folks are great, thanks for your help !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you get rid of the Moire patterns?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How do you get rid of the Moire patterns?
    LOL i don't plan on it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin