Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,137   Posts: 1,637,440   Online: 903

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera Romance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agfarapid View Post
    Hey Pstake, we must be kindred spirits or something! I have a Contax 137, a Kiev III (Contax imposter) and a Topcon Super D and DM. My polygamy knows no bounds!!
    Polygamy implies marriage. I think it would be a lot easier for you if you just had romances and affairs with them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    ...but I don't know anything that smells better than a Hassy or a brand-new Carl Zeiss lens.
    Kodachrome smells better.

But into the weeds I digress...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm starting to get pretty good at working on these Hasselblad bodies. The lenses can be pretty tough, and I haven't even touched a Hass shutter yet. But I'm getting to where I can do a pretty respectable job on the bodies. I've got a 1996 553 ELX, and an original 1957 500C with the original piston that was never converted, up on the worktable now. I'm sitting here waiting on a new metric dial caliper to come in the mail today, so I can make sure my body lengths are all on the mark. I don't want to put them back together with a short or long body and have infinity be off.
    If you don't get a Hasselblad back to specs, it's no better and probably worse that a box camera. You can't fool around with these one bit--they have to be right or you've got a big fat nothing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Proper Hasselblad repairmen have a jig and a fixture of some sort for everything. And they have factory training. It would be like me thinking I could walk in to Eastman Kodak and do PE's job. Nevertheless, good work CAN be done on more rudimentary tools, if those tools are accurate. I've been in touch with a factory-trained independent on another site, and a getting a feel for what I can and cannot do. The number one rule I have for myself is DON'T fool with a particular adjustment if I don't have the right jig, fixture, or tool to undo my "adjustment" and put it back to spec.
    Within my limitations, I am getting a lot of things right, though I might have to make a forge to build a hammer, to hammer a nail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Proper Hasselblad repairmen have a jig and a fixture of some sort for everything. And they have factory training. It would be like me thinking I could walk in to Eastman Kodak and do PE's job. Nevertheless, good work CAN be done on more rudimentary tools, if those tools are accurate. I've been in touch with a factory-trained independent on another site, and a getting a feel for what I can and cannot do. The number one rule I have for myself is DON'T fool with a particular adjustment if I don't have the right jig, fixture, or tool to undo my "adjustment" and put it back to spec.
    Within my limitations, I am getting a lot of things right, though I might have to make a forge to build a hammer, to hammer a nail.
    Tom, is this your way of describing your romance with the Hasselblad cameras? If yes, it's a bit awkward...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't have any "romance" with inanimate objects. The closest I've been to one is the 1968 Camaro Convertible I got in Feb 1974, as my first car. And it's sitting all sweet and fine in my driveway now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I don't have any "romance" with inanimate objects. The closest I've been to one is the 1968 Camaro Convertible I got in Feb 1974, as my first car. And it's sitting all sweet and fine in my driveway now.
    Yah, it's all tongue in cheek and fun this thread, but with a valid point that we maybe make the best photographs with the cameras we love best. Hence the thread title 'Camera Romance'.

I bet that Camaro looks sweet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Tom, is this your way of describing your romance with the Hasselblad cameras? If yes, it's a bit awkward...
    Geek love

Shooter
    Large Format
    It has all new quarter panels, floor pans, door panels--all original GM parts, that I welded in myself. Beautiful job. The old was dented and rusted and no good. Now that car doesn't have a thimbleful of Bondo in it. I'm putting it up for sale one day. Any potential buyers can inquire at my occupied cemetery plot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Those that have know. The others wish that they could have so that they too could know.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin