Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 948

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera Romance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit that I have the same love affairs (yes, I am a polygamist!) with my M/F equipment: RB 67, a 500c, Mamiya C330's, M645 and Super as well as a few rangefinder Fuji's thrown in for spice. I have some digital equipment as well ( a couple of Pentax's) but I get the greatest satisfaction of shooting with my film cameras, whether slr or rangefinder. As the OP said earlier, I take a lot more time taking the picture and a lot more enjoyment in the processing end as well. The results (to me) speak for themselves. Granted, my digitals are great for weddings, and events due to their speed but I don't get the same level of satisfaction after looking over ton's of digital images; they tend to all look the same after a while. I guess I'll have to continue my open marriage with my digital and film stuff. They even share the same camera bags at night! Best of all, my wife of many years knows of these illicit relationships and is even aware of my sneaking down to the darkroom in the basement to perform all kinds of hedonistic acts in the dark. Now that's love!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get the romance. I'm polyamorous with my Contax RTS II, 139Q, Contax IIa, Kiev IIa, Topcon Super D; and my bond with the Ikoflex is similar to Ralph's with his Hassy. Sometimes I think we would all be happier living together in Utah or along the north rim in Arizona. The scenery is a big reason but I feel also our love might be more accepted.

ps. I have to use a dSLR for work and I don't enjoy photographing nearly as much; nor do I work so hard at it. On occasion, I just set it to autofocus and snap the shutter without even bothering with the viewfinder. The results are rarely impressive but they don't need to be. If I want them to be, but have to use a dslr, I adapt a manual-focus Zeiss lens, which is still not a romantic experience but maybe a little closer to it. Like bringing a very good old friend to a work party.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Pstake, we must be kindred spirits or something! I have a Contax 137, a Kiev III (Contax imposter) and a Topcon Super D and DM. My polygamy knows no bounds!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Am I alone?
    No, not alone.

One of my big choices when prepping to go shoot is, do I take the whole harem or just one.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agfarapid View Post
    Hey Pstake, we must be kindred spirits or something! I have a Contax 137, a Kiev III (Contax imposter) and a Topcon Super D and DM. My polygamy knows no bounds!!
    Polygamy implies marriage. I think it would be a lot easier for you if you just had romances and affairs with them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I realize that this could be potentially an awkward subject but,I'm actually serious.I have determined the reason for my Hasselblad images to be better than my digital images.I don't mean this in a technical quality kind of way but in an artistic kind of value.whenever I take the Hassy,I can be sure of having a much better chance of creating something worth while but,when I take the digital equipment,the trash can is having a feast.the reason?I'm having a romantic relationship with my Hasselblad.Yes, I actually love it,even hug it every day and have been known to sniff it to make sure it is mine.I don't have those feelings for my D800(yet)Am I alone?Good thing is, I don't have to confess to my wife,She knows!
    Hasselblad - I have used a few cameras over the years, and none of them feel as natural to me as the Hasselblad. Soul mates, you could say...
    Thanks for the GAS Thomas
    Those that have know. The others wish that they could have so that they too could know.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...but I don't know anything that smells better than a Hassy or a brand-new Carl Zeiss lens.
    Kodachrome smells better.

But into the weeds I digress...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm starting to get pretty good at working on these Hasselblad bodies. The lenses can be pretty tough, and I haven't even touched a Hass shutter yet. But I'm getting to where I can do a pretty respectable job on the bodies. I've got a 1996 553 ELX, and an original 1957 500C with the original piston that was never converted, up on the worktable now. I'm sitting here waiting on a new metric dial caliper to come in the mail today, so I can make sure my body lengths are all on the mark. I don't want to put them back together with a short or long body and have infinity be off.
    If you don't get a Hasselblad back to specs, it's no better and probably worse that a box camera. You can't fool around with these one bit--they have to be right or you've got a big fat nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad repairmen have a jig to calibrate and align the bodies.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Proper Hasselblad repairmen have a jig and a fixture of some sort for everything. And they have factory training. It would be like me thinking I could walk in to Eastman Kodak and do PE's job. Nevertheless, good work CAN be done on more rudimentary tools, if those tools are accurate. I've been in touch with a factory-trained independent on another site, and a getting a feel for what I can and cannot do. The number one rule I have for myself is DON'T fool with a particular adjustment if I don't have the right jig, fixture, or tool to undo my "adjustment" and put it back to spec.
    Within my limitations, I am getting a lot of things right, though I might have to make a forge to build a hammer, to hammer a nail.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin