Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 985

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Camera Romance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You named your cameras and call them by their names?
    So do I.

Marilyn is my RB kit.

Helga, my Holga.

Nikki...

You don't?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    my photography got better with Hasselblad;maybe,because at tthat point I couldn't blame the equipment anymore and there was noother way than to work harder.
    This is true also for me. It was actually a bit of a rude awakening for me to realize that it really is up to me to make better photographs; my skill, my knowledge, my practice, my 'everything'.

The Hasselblad feels sort of like an extension of my mind, where I'm so used to using it that all adjustments are fairly automatic. I really LOVE the camera and how it handles, how it fits in my hands, how big and bright the viewing screen is, and so on. But I feel like I've used it so much that the camera gets out of the way when I photograph, to the point that I don't think at all about the camera - I think only of what's in front of the camera, and that's freedom to me, freedom to be fully immersed in the subject matter, free of distracting noise.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my cameras , but I don't give them pet names, or want to have sex with them any more than I do my carpentry tools which I also like, I don't know what planet some people live on.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    This is true also for me. It was actually a bit of a rude awakening for me to realize that it really is up to me to make better photographs; my skill, my knowledge, my practice, my 'everything'.

The Hasselblad feels sort of like an extension of my mind, where I'm so used to using it that all adjustments are fairly automatic. I really LOVE the camera and how it handles, how it fits in my hands, how big and bright the viewing screen is, and so on. But I feel like I've used it so much that the camera gets out of the way when I photograph, to the point that I don't think at all about the camera - I think only of what's in front of the camera, and that's freedom to me, freedom to be fully immersed in the subject matter, free of distracting noise.
    For me this realization came in several steps, one of the most stark was getting my Holga. When I found that a "toy" could turn out fun images as often as my "tools", I had to wonder "why?"

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I like my cameras , but I don't give them pet names, or want to have sex with them any more than I do my carpentry tools which I also like, I don't know what planet some people live on.
    Oh, lighten up Ben.

My wife jokingly calls them my "square-headed-girlfriends". I jokingly call them by name.

There is something visceral though about what each can do, and how each feels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Oh, lighten up Ben.

My wife jokingly calls them my "square-headed-girlfriends". I jokingly call them by name.

There is something visceral though about what each can do, and how each feels.
    Each to their own.

But I work quite the opposite. When a camera works really well for me, I forget it's there.

That means I am only thinking about the photo and operating the camera without any conscious thought about it.

I don't have any emotional relationships with objects, except maybe that I get frustrated if they break.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How surprising (not) that this topic garners 77 replies and counting in 24 hours on a photography forum .

Ralph, the real question is how does your camera feel about you. Now that's a romance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Your Blad might be the camera you want to take out, but which camera do you want to stay home with and get dirty
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Did you start with the early Leica IIIs?

I'm just wondering if the move to the M-series was as big an evolution as it seems to me.

Did your photography get better?
    The Leica IIIf bought new in 1953 was like a sports car; my current M4 is more like a SUV, practical rather than elegant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    Each to their own.

But I work quite the opposite. When a camera works really well for me, I forget it's there.

That means I am only thinking about the photo and operating the camera without any conscious thought about it.

I don't have any emotional relationships with objects, except maybe that I get frustrated if they break.
    I know my cameras well enough to work them with little if any thought too. But objects do affect emotions.

For better or worse each camera has it's strengths and it's stereotypes in our worlds and those translate into how I relate to the world and how those around me relate to me.

In a sense picking a camera is like choosing which "friend" you want to spend the day with.

For example choosing an RB is for me a commitment to a more planned or formal "date" with a serious-minded city girl, where grabbing my Holga is more of partying by the lake with the girl from next door "date".

I'm not the only one that gets this either, the "girls" I hang with have a distinct affect on how the people around me act. Think Michelle Obama vs. P!nk. I'd happily spend separate afternoons with either, each afternoon would be a very different experience.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin