Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 804

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Camera Romance

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I feel this way about my Rolleiflex. In the beginning, I wasn't sure how I felt about it - did it work well with me, was the twin-lens thing a good idea or a bad idea? But after putting some film through it, and taking it out on 'dates', I got to know it and realized it was probably the best camera for me that I've ever owned (no slight to my large format stuff - they're the friends-with-benefits when I need some spice or want to do something I can't do with the Rollei). But it does just get out of the way and let me take the images I want to take. I would say it does love me back, because I get the best pictures from it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I know my cameras well enough to work them with little if any thought too. But objects do affect emotions.

For better or worse each camera has it's strengths and it's stereotypes in our worlds and those translate into how I relate to the world and how those around me relate to me.

In a sense picking a camera is like choosing which "friend" you want to spend the day with.

For example choosing an RB is for me a commitment to a more planned or formal "date" with a serious-minded city girl, where grabbing my Holga is more of partying by the lake with the girl from next door "date".

I'm not the only one that gets this either, the "girls" I hang with have a distinct affect on how the people around me act. Think Michelle Obama vs. P!nk. I'd happily spend separate afternoons with either, each afternoon would be a very different experience.

I think all my efforts to convince people that avid photographers aren't kooks just went out the window

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    I think all my efforts to convince people that avid photographers aren't kooks just went out the window
    We are all perfectly normal. It's 'they' who are bananas.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, I had a friend at university who coined the phrase:

"I thought everyone else was nuts, until I realised it was me."

That was after they put him on Lithium. Great guy, though.

But more seriously, I think everyone who has an all-overriding interest should watch out little bit.

I've seen people get kooky over the silliest hobbies, such as stamp collecting, jogging, video games, hifi ... or photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I feel this way about my Rolleiflex. In the beginning, I wasn't sure how I felt about it - did it work well with me, was the twin-lens thing a good idea or a bad idea? But after putting some film through it, and taking it out on 'dates', I got to know it and realized it was probably the best camera for me that I've ever owned (no slight to my large format stuff - they're the friends-with-benefits when I need some spice or want to do something I can't do with the Rollei). But it does just get out of the way and let me take the images I want to take. I would say it does love me back, because I get the best pictures from it.
    A TLR is on my bucket list.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm the son of an retired pro shooter. I grew up watching my father use a variety of Linhof's, Hasselblad's, and Rollei's. For reasons I can't rationally explain, the Hasselblad's always were my favorite. Although I own more digital camera gear than I have a right to, my photography dreams always involved Hasselblad. A few months ago I finally purchased a 500CM and a couple of Zeiss lenses. The minute that chrome and black camera arrived at my home, it felt like I'd come full circle. I continue to enjoy my DSLR gear, but it doesn't come close to having mojo like that 500CM. There is something about Victor's design that just feels magical to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it a coincidence that there doesn't seem to be a single female member of APUG posting to this thread?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Is it a coincidence that there doesn't seem to be a single female member of APUG posting to this thread?

I think it's a total fluke.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Real Camera Romance??

From the days when cameras were cameras, men were men, and sheep were scared...

Just look at those faces.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-18-2014 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Embedded the actual photo...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin