Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,477   Online: 952

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera Romance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera Romance

I realize that this could be potentially an akward subject but,I'm actually serious.I have determined the reason for my Hasselblad images to be better than my digital images.I don't mean this in a technical quality kind of waybut in an artistic kind of value.whenever I take the Hassy,I can be sure of having a much better chance of creating something worthwhilebut,when I take the digital equipment,the trash can is having a feast.the reason?I'm having a romantic relationship with my Hasselblad.Yes, I actually love it,even hug it every dayand have been known to sniff it to make shure it is mine.I don't have those feelings for my D800(yet)Am I alone?Good thing is, I don't have to confess to my wife,She knows!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph it is the large view finder that lets you not only compose but also lets you search the view finder for details. That is why Hasselblad is ever so much better than the rest.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not just the viewfinder. For me, at least, there's just so many settings and options on a dslr that it's easy to focus less on the image than the technology. Maybe because I don't use the dslr enough.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me it's my Rolleiflex. My Hassy tried to come between us. Her exotic advances while tempting and certainly exciting just didn't have it in the end. She remained the housekeeper with benefits
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are right; that is a huge benefit,but I don't know anything that smells betterthan a Hassy or a brand-new Carl Xeiss lens. there ia romance there somewhereJust holding them is pure joy.this is well beyond pride of ownership.I also forgot to mention,that it was my father's dream camera,which he could never affordand now that he is unfortunately gone.I like to believe that he iswatching me when I'm holding it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that's my guess too.it may come with use.that's why I'm still using my 1970s Nikkors.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you'll get better photos with a camera that you are familiar with.

I would call it trust rather than love. You trust a familiar camera to deliver the images you want. This gives you a sense of freedom and confidence in your photography, which translates into better pictures.

Even if I shoot more film than digital these days, I am still more familiar with my digital gear. I get many more keepers with it than with analog cameras.

Analog is much more fun and I am gradually learning how to treat the cameras and films to get better images.

The greatest difference between digital and film is that you are much more restricted by the choices you make before pressing the shutter button with film. With digital you get second chances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In general, I agree. I have a very differnt relationship with my Hassy than I do my Nikon. But more specifically... it depends a lot upon the subject type and shooting circumstances. I only have a couple of cameras and find that it is very important to choose the camera type/format that is most appropriate to the circumstances to avoid upsetting those relationships.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, butit's more than that.I don't feel the same bond.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own a Hassy, but I think it makes you shoot differently then a DSLR. It's a wonderful piece of equipment. It's beautiful to the eye, and feels great in the hand. It just slows you down. With that A12 back, you can't mindlessly shoot. When you crank that film lever, there's that wonderful buzzing. How about that wonderful clunk of the mirror when you fire the shutter? I shoot with with a Mamiya RZ and the Hassy has a soul that my Mamiya can't match.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin