Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,688   Online: 727

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Ansel Adams, An American Perspective, Oklahoma City, OK, 15 Mar - Jun 1, 2014

The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is hosting Ansel Adams, An American Perspective, March 15- Jun 1,2014. I visited today and the museum was filled with school age children who saw exhibted darkroom equipment similar to what Adams would have used. Cool. In a video Adams discusses his technique. The video shows his darkroom and kitchen. In an example Adams prints a 16x20, carries it to the kitchen, rips it in a third, and microwaves the paper to check dry down. No qualms placing fingers in Dektol and slapping a semi washed print on the kitchen table let alone flashing the paper in the microwave.

The Brett Weston archive was purchased locally and stored in OKC. At the same date the museum is also showing a significant number of Brett's prints.

OKCMOA installed a high quality presentation.

http://www.okcmoa.com/see/exhibitions/ansel-adams/
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting this. I'm about 5 hours from OKC but it definitely sounds worth a trip, also for the Brett Weston archive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    . The video shows his darkroom and kitchen. In an example Adams prints a 16x20, carries it to the kitchen, rips it in a third, and microwaves the paper to check dry down. No qualms placing fingers in Dektol and slapping a semi washed print on the kitchen table let alone flashing the paper in the microwave.

http://www.okcmoa.com/see/exhibitions/ansel-adams/
    Well yes but he didn't live very long did he? No wait, he did actually live a long time despite these dangerous antics.

Must have been one of the lucky ones

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Do you remember video title ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Saw this today.

I wasn't sure what I would think of Adam's prints - almost all of them were the biggest iconic images I knew, and they had what I thought was my favorite from viewing repros ("Roots, Foster Gardens, Honolulu").

The entire set is engrossing, meticulous and electric.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You mean everybody doesn't stick their fingers in the chemistry? You'll eat more photo chemistry in a day when you eat processed food than will ever seep into your bloodstream in the photo tray in a lifetime. Developer tastes good. Kinda strange flavor, but is a comforting taste that reminds me I'm doing my favorite thing--making pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the good fortune a few years back see a number of exhibitions of Adams prints in a short time frame. I highly recommend you make the effort, they are stunning. I was able to spend about an hour, alone, with his Museum Set, while a blizzard kept most everyone else away, it was amazing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do go see the Adams exhibit. I saw Western Exposure when it was in Peoria, Illinois last summer and it was worth every penny.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I believe they are different exhibits. The magnificent Peoria show was curated be Adam's daughter-in-law who had access to family items and prints from the family's collection. The Oklahoma City show is organized by the Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego, and I believe contains fewer prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin