Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,541   Online: 969

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBC - R.I.P.?

Shooter
    Multi Format

SBC - R.I.P.?

So, after 33 years, 3 months and a couple of days (exact date of expiration is unknown), my beloved and trusty Gossen Luna Pro SBC has (apparently) decided to depart for photo gear heaven. A change of batteries (Duracell Copper Tops, right out of the package) elicited no response: the needle did not even deign to budge from its resting position. Is this chestnut worth repairing (vs picking up something more modern)? To my fellow Canadian APUGers (or my friends just south of the 49th): where would one send this device for an repair appraisal? BTW: The meter was a Christmas gift (1980) from my late parents, so there is, needless to say, more than a little sentimental value to the SBC.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They die? I have 3 and feel they are almost the perfect meter. I even use the monster 1, 5, 10 degree spot meter head on the one in my LF case.

There is a guy in Los Angeles that only repairs meters and is highly respected. A little google-fu ought to reveal his identity.

Shooter
    35mm

sugat

I was under the apprehension that I was the #1 Sugar Daddy to the battery companies. Good luck with your meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sometimes the rivets in the center of the 9V connection pins become corroded and voltage is not delivered to the circuitry inside. I would first suspect that or a broken wire leading from the 9V battery connector. I have two and they are built like tanks. A q-tip and some baking soda solution will clean out any corrosion on the connector. I had another device that the 9V connector failed with a cold solder joint on those connection pins.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Large Format
    bad wire or connector
    Klaatu barada nikto

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps Quality Light Metric in LA can assist?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats them!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fix it yourself. Got to Radio Shack and get a 9v connector and splice it in
    Klaatu barada nikto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you aren't confident in attempting a DIY repair, Quality Light Metric in L.A. would be the place to send it. They don't have a website, so far as I know. You deal with them the old-fashioned way by phone and mail. But, they do good work and they are fast.

The cost would probably be about the same as a replacement Luna Pro SBC in working condition would run, but that wouldn't be one your parents had bought you.
    Last edited by bdial; 04-05-2014 at 09:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could send it to Gossen: http://www.gossen-photo.us/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin