Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,242   Online: 967

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    They used to have a colour dot and if it changed colour they could be a hazard to fire for moisture ingress.

But don't fire one without a shield they could always explode even new from box.

Tossing them up in air without their normal cover iffy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Truzi,

Since you have so many, you have got to try this little prank.

Crack one of the Magicubes open, gently pry the little bulbs out, and toss them up in the air one by one.

"Some" will flash on impact.
    Been there, done that. When I was a kid I took most of my electronic toys apart to see what made them work. I did the same with some flash cubes and magic cubes, and that is how I learned how each worked.

I've never seen anything larger than a 4-pack before, so am tempted to just keep them for posterity, especially since I have electronic flashes that will work. I will use them, however, just for the nostalgia. I will use them slowly.

Of course, they are old... I may have to test them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm8m0fh8nIo
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Truzi,

Since you have so many, you have got to try this little prank.

Crack one of the Magicubes open, gently pry the little bulbs out, and toss them up in the air one by one.

"Some" will flash on impact.
    Back when I was a boy, about 48 years ago, I wanted to know what made the magicube flash. So I used a bent paperclip and fiddled with the bottom of hte cube. I think I'm still blinking from that experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The portrait camera: Polaroid Big Shot is a really fun camera that uses Fuji FP-100C instant film but can only be used with Magicubes. Otherwise comes out very underexposed. I have a stash hoard of cubes myself. Just thought I'd mention a very fun camera to use with your case of cubes. Might as well keep a four pack of cubes for memory sake and use the rest to make more memories rather than keep a case full of bulbs ya know. my 2cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I expected, I have unearthed some unused blue ag bulbs, as well as one large bulb (PH 5?).
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PH#5 would be the same thing as the Sylvania Press 25s. Originally known as "midget" bulbs, they were the standard press photographer's tool for decades. I have just under 1,300 of these that I use with my 4x5 Crown Graphic. As Tom said, beautiful light. Since they are so long-burning, there is no ultra-sharp strobe effect. Much more natural looking.

They have a Guide Number listed as variously in the range of 200-240, depending on your shutter speed.

If you should reach the stage of actually trying them out, you might take a peek at a simple little Windows-based command line utility I uploaded to the Articles section here a while back. It's something I've used for years to generate flash-to-subject distance tables for various flashbulbs and electronic flashes when used manually.

Like APUG in general, it's a little bit arcane. Just a simple character-based interface. But that's all that is really needed. I simply print the tables out and stick 'em on the backs of my antique cameras and flashbulb attachments for reference.

Flash-to-Subject Distance Calculator Utility

Here is a sample run for a GN 220 flashbulb, used with Ilford FP4+ at box speed, and broken out to a resolution of 1/3-stops. Because the GN is expressed in feet, the distances in the table are also in feet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flashsample.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	88777

(There is a major upgrade coming soon, as I have added a significant number of new things from my ongoing wish list...)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    What kind of projecter bulbs are they? I may be able to use them in my Durst enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure on the projector bulbs, I only had a passing glance and didn't get a good look; haven't been back at the house for a while. I had assumed they were for my grandfather's (now my) slide, 8mm, or super8 projectors, but my aunt seems to think they are not related to photography (and she'd likely know, she had worked for GE and kept the family supplied in various bulbs for years).
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    I somehow just came across this thread so long after it appeared that the OP may have long since attempted flash photography with the J-3 Flash Unit and AG-1 flash bulbs.

I had some experience with that combo, since the J-3 was the first flash unit I got to use with my FTb back in the early 1970s. The FTb would only sync with AG-1 flash bulbs at 1/30 sec. or slower; I'm not sure if the same restrictions apply to the shutters on the Contessa or Vitessa. I believe the AG-1 bulb units use M sync, not FP nor F.

Using an AG-1 clear bulb with High-Speed Ektachrome Tungsten in the FTb one evening after a sever ice storm during the mid-70s I took a shot of a house from across the street that was framed in ice-encrusted branches hanging near my position; not only the nearby icy branches, but also the house some fifty feet distant was nicely lit by the miniature flash bulb.

Thanks and regards,
    Vince

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin