Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,850   Online: 892

Shooter
    35mm

Prado 250 -- new to slide projectors

Hey all,

So I've been shooting slide film for the last two or three years, but have been viewing my slides with a loupe, and only just picked up my first projector. As far as I can tell, it's a Leitz Prado 250. It's great, but I'm having a really hard time finding documentation in the English language. I have a couple questions for the forum that I haven't been able to find answers to elsewhere. First, the Hektor lens it came with is no good. It's got bad haze, and I'm pretty sure it's killing the contrast of my projected images. Since I don't think I can save the lens, what sort of mount does it use, and what kind of lenses are compatible? Will I have to find a lens from another Leitz Prado? Is there anything I can probably get inexpensively? I like this projector -- it's otherwise in gorgeous shape, and is totally complete with original case. So if I can get a good lens that fits, I will be in business.

One other detail -- what type of bulb is correct for this unit? I've been able to glean that it's a 250-watt bulb, but I'm unsure beyond that.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you're able to help.

Jordan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need lenses with 46mm thread. I doubt there are compatible lenses from other makes.
    The helical barrel, with the female thread, is exchangable with a special barrel for long focus lenses. These need another condenser too.

As the designation indicates it is a 250W lamp, tubular and running on mains. It got a bayonet fitting P28.
    It should be centered after exchange.

Be aware that with lamps running on mains there meanwhile is a good chance that they are underrated for a meanwhile higher mains voltage, causing significantly reduced longevity, if no other means are employed.

Your model most probably has no forced cooling (the designation remained the same between models), possibly a longevity issue with the lamp and a bad lens. Probably not the best model/sample to stick with unless you prefer such basic model (on today standards).
    So far I could get later, more advanced models for less money than a Prado (looks too antique...).

Of course the Prado has its advantage just in its basicness: the sliding of the transparency is so obvious. A good show for the uninitiated. Its silence.

The Zen of projection.
    Last edited by AgX; 05-07-2014 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin