Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,374   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straps...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to digress for a moment, Iv'e never understood why any camera straps need quick releases because on the Op Tech ones unless you need buy these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TECH-Secure-...ywords=op+tech it's very easy if you grasp the strap in the wrong place to bounce your camera on the deck, at lease with the domke Gripper Strap the connectors are spring loaded and it can't be done by accident.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes the buckle can be accidently released. Noy restricted to camera straps either. No big sweat to use a Velcro tab to secure the QR buckle on some OpTech straps. The one I use for the Pentax 67 is nowt more than a short haul-up strap that quickly converts to the well-known fat neoprene neck strap as and when needed.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm puzzled. I never had such buckle release unintentionally.

EDIT: I see. I don't have such buckles at places were one typically grasps to hold the strap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I'm puzzled. I never had such buckle release unintentionally.

EDIT: I see. I don't have such buckles at places were one typically grasps to hold the strap.

Pic of haul-up strap with velcro band through buckle to prevent accidental release when picking up — probably exactly what you found. This buckle is at the exact apex where the hand and fingers are when picking the camera up, so it really did require additional security. Never had an accident with it like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2253_1347.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	88669

This very short strap — as I call it, a 'haul-up' for the big Pentax 67, is nowhere near the nuisance that a normal camera strap is e.g. flaying around in the wind, potentially tangling with the tripod during dismounting, arms getting caught in it... it's 50-50 photographers around the world will have their own preference and unique needs. Strictly speaking, straps detract from the useability of cameras in professional use because they are a potential liability for an accident or slowing things down during a shoot. Straps are all the rage for the latest and greatest digital cameras but do nothing at all for the large cameras (MF, LF) that are so much of the analogue world.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-27-2014 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 for the narrow, swivelless donkey; +10 for the best thing nikon ever produced: the AN-4B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have a couple of Op-tech straps but my favorites are my Domke Gripper straps but for my New F1 body that has the AE Motor Drive FN (which takes 12 A.A. batteries) attached is too heavy especially with a 300mm lens attached to hang round anyones neck, I use a wrist strap.
    Good point. I prefer a wrist strap to a standard neck strap, particularly if it is padded and made of leather. It allows carrying the camera at arm's length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I wrote, it's completely beyond my understanding why a camera neck strap should need a quick release.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I wrote, it's completely beyond my understanding why a camera neck strap should need a quick release.
    It would indeed have to be pretty obscure and would probably never be used.

I have a strap on my 300/2.8 and sometimes it gets tangled with the strap on my camera, and a quick release might be handy but unnecessary for untangling that.

Moving a camera in and out of an underwater housing might require quick removal of a strap.

If you are working at height, you might want to loop your camera strap through a ring on your harness, but carabiners are made for that. I've looped my camera strap around a radio tower leg once, using the quick release, set the self timer, and climbed down under its' wide angle lens for a cool self portrait. Most people wouldn't be doing that sort of thing. I've also looped the strap through my shoulder belt while flying in an open cockpit biplane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weighing up the fact "it will probably never be used" against bouncing your camera on the deck which is much more likely, who needs them ?.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For quick removal, and for switching between thin straps and thick straps, as well as between wrist straps, neck straps and chest harnesses.

With my cameras which feature interchangeable finders, I sometimes use a long strap for the eye level finders and a short strap for cameras with a waist level (actually chest level) finders.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin