Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,938   Online: 826

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straps...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Straps...

I've acquired and used a small but fairly wide range of film cameras over the last (almost) 2 years, and in that time also used a whole bunch of random straps and things that came with the various camera's, either originally or added by it's previous user. I've personally found that for original camera straps I like the AF Film body pentax straps (the ones with the little pockets on them) and Mamiya AFD straps the most, the Mamiya one a little bit more, as it is just the perfect length, the webbing is really supple but also feels strong and the grippy stuff is pretty good, are the best ones.
    Outside of camera manufacturer ones I've only used an optech one which I quite like as well, but it's a bit thick which is both a good thing (padding and comfort) and a bad thing (I can't keep it under my bag strap to stop it sliding off as I move it to my eye to shoot), and this one I made myself out of tubular webbing and some industrial hook clip things and bits (which might have been quite good but could use a couple more revisions).

I find straps to be a pretty big factor in the usability of my cameras (I know some people shoot without straps, but I personally couldn't get used to it (also I have some large camera's which are a tad tiring to be holding all day long )), what do you guys think?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Waist belt bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The optech neoprene straps are good, but a little too bouncy sometimes.

I like the black suede Tamrac strap. I use them on my DSLRs. Classy and they don't slide down off your shoulder. The suede grips well against cotton shirts or nylon jackets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Optech all the way for me. I find them the most comfortable with heavier cameras. I also find that the neoprene not too bouncy, unlike an INCA strap I had bought many years ago

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Canon CPS (Canon Professional Services) give out Canon branded optec neoprene straps... They are great for heavy cameras and terrible for light cameras...

I'm also missing one strap that is very much needed which is a Mamiya44LM which uses some kind of round attachment, similar to the MamiyaRZ67 strap but round instead if square, they seem to be hard to come by as original and the camera is too light for the neoprene version (which I believe is the only other kind that has that odd attachment).

I agree, the strap issue is pretty important and a frustrating one when you can't get the one you need/want/feel comfortable with...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Optech also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Op-tech straps but my favorites are my Domke Gripper straps but for my New F1 body that has the AE Motor Drive FN (which takes 12 A.A. batteries) attached is too heavy especially with a 300mm lens attached to hang round anyones neck, I use a wrist strap.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought some very cheap straps from a firm in China on the basis that I needed several straps and I was broke. I expected them to be awful but they are excellent - well made and comfortable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to be an OP/TECH fan, until I had one break on me in 2005. Switched to the Domke Grippers later that year. Use them on all of my cameras.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too like Domke Gripper straps best, although I use an OpTech strap for my VERY heavy MF SLR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin