Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,727   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a tiltall. I have I think a 3028 legs and 3047 head. It' s great for my 4x5 and RB67, but I have been traveling more for work and sometimes not checking a bag at all so I've downsized to a 35mm camera with a zoom. Having some sort of tripod would be good but it would have to be small. The two Slik tripods mentioned in this thread would seem to fit the bill, but I'm not sure if the tinier of the two would be sturdy enough or not...probably it would be better than hand-holding.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the camera and lens are heavy, I'm thinking something less than full extension is the way to go with the lighter tripods. A tripod collar on the lens also might make sense. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want to spend some $$$ the Gitzo G1127 carbon fiber or similar with the G1276M magnesium head will easily handle your 35mm and medium format. I have traveled with mine for a number of years with medium format and lenses up to 250mm. I generally remove the head and put it in my camera backpack and the tripod in a tripod bag which easily fits in the overhead compartment.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    + 1 for the CF units from Feisol. I've had the 3301 since they'd updated with the anti-rotation legs and the steel sleeved & sealed twist locks. I've used the unit with both the RB67 and the Wista 4x5 for a couple years now and love the system.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also recommend Feisol, I have thrown it into my checkin luggage at the airport many times and it still looks brand new. I agree, the anti-twist feature makes setting up this tripod a snap. Something that's very important for me when I travel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The regular Tiltall won't fit a carry on but they (Leitz) had a short version.
    Bogen also had a 3021s that was a short version of the 3021.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm over 6 feet tall, so choosing a travel tripod is always a compromise between convenience in shooting, portability and the budget. My current solution is a very small Manfrotto 732CY carbon fiber travel tripod with a tall Leitz ball head, and both were bought used. The ball head brings most slr viewfinders up to about 56 inches without the center column extended, and the rig weighs 2.8 pounds. I would not put anything heavy on it, but it is better than a monopod, and with the ball head off the tripod legset is about 17 inches long. Before I got the ballhead I often used to kneel to take photos with the little tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm over 6 feet tall, so choosing a travel tripod is always a compromise between convenience in shooting, portability
    I'm also a 6 ft.+ shooter. Compact tripods tend to be lighter and shorter, but if your primary use is your 35mm SLR (use don't mention brand) consider a right-angle viewfinder for it. I use one on my Nikons often and it helps a great deal.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Feisol CT-3402 from Kerry at Really Big Cameras. Fits in a carry-on legal case/ with head removed. I would buy anti-rotation legs if in your budget. TSA does not like the spiked feet kit, leave them home or put them in a checked bag.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't have a tiltall. I have I think a 3028 legs and 3047 head. It' s great for my 4x5 and RB67, but I have been traveling more for work and sometimes not checking a bag at all so I've downsized to a 35mm camera with a zoom. Having some sort of tripod would be good but it would have to be small. The two Slik tripods mentioned in this thread would seem to fit the bill, but I'm not sure if the tinier of the two would be sturdy enough or not...probably it would be better than hand-holding.
    I wouldn't try a Tiltall if you are thinking of that route. When I moved up from 35mm to an RZ67 I initially tried it on the Tiltall I had been using for 35mm. The RZ pretty much threw the Tiltall around. It was jut too much weight for the the Tiltall. The used Gitzo Studex I got was too big for your travel bag purposes.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin