Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,247   Online: 726

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Looking for Travel Tripod

I'm looking for a tripod that will fit in a carry-on bag and hold up, for example, a 35mm AF SLR or maybe a medium format rangefinder. Lightest weight is not important as value. What names and models should I be looking for on the used market. I don't have the budget to go out and buy a new carbon fiber wonder. I'm more looking for the "tiltall" of smaller tripods, in terms of value.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tripods are very tricky to choose from, what may work for someone else may not fit with your style. I suggest you pick a max price point, figure out max weight needed for your heaviest body and lens setup (and flash if you use one or plan to), and the look for smallest collapsable length for pack ability in travel on luggage. From there you can figure out if you want a center column, what type of leg locks, what kind of head. I recently got a vanguard Auctus plus 323 ct tripod for my LF setup, and it's very high quality that matches up to the bigger names such as gitzo and manfrotto at a more affordable price so don't be afraid to look into these smaller brands. If buying used get something that's more recent, there will be parts and less worry about wear and tear from previous users. There are a few tripods at my work that can't be fully repaired without getting another broken one for parts. The lightest tripod I have is the Tamarac zipshot, it's basically 3 tent poles and a ball head, very good for a smaller camera on relativly even ground as there isn't much leg adjustment.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Google for reviews of brands and model numbers you are looking at. Use the experience of someone who has tried it, but also look for indications of a reason they might favor a brand other than its quality.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Slick Sprint Pro II about 5 years ago, it's small enough to fit in a backpack, I can fly with it - it would fit a carry-on case, and I use it with MF and LF (5x4). Mine has a ball head but they have a pan tilt head available as well. Calumet sell them as own brand (in the UK) but you'd need to see who is selling them now in the US.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Manfrotto 714 B might fit your needs. Small and steady. Here is one on eBay. 261500339820. If interested I have one I am selling for a friend. Send me a PM. I use a Velbron 343E for travel, although I've given serious thought to buying the Manfrotto. Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I picked up a carbon fiber dolica with ball head at Costco for hiking. It can hold my Canon SLR as well as a Toyo Field 45A, albeit not as solidly as my Manfrotto 3021/3047 combo. I prefer lever locks so I'm not thrilled with the rotating ones on the Dolica, and it's four segment not three, and not as tall as the Manfrotto, but a fraction of the weight and height when packed. For how I use it, I can live with the trade off.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For $299 I don't think you can do better than this. Even if it's a bit more than you want to pay, Feisol tripods are an excellent value in terms of quality, and will last as long as you do....(or a lot longer!)

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Traveler_Class.htm
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd go for the anti-rotation feature even if it's nearly a hundred more... With three collars per leg, the thought of locking and unlocking each segment in the correct order and with sufficient firmness to prevent the one above from unlocking as you try to unlock the one below... the thought is mind-numbing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've recently bought the Slik Mini Sprint II GM which holds my Nikon F3 no problem. It folds very small, but is not very high at max extension. It's great for travel. It will fit hand luggage no problem.
    Alex.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have one of the Feisol travel tripods, and I'm happy with it for the purposes described, but I suspect from the original post that it may be over budget.

If you've got a Tiltall, have you tried removing the center column and seeing if it fits your luggage in two pieces? As I recall it's simple to remove, and while the reversible legs of a Gitzo Traveller or Feisol Travel Class are an elegant solution for getting the tripod into your luggage, when I get to the destination, I don't walk around with it that way, and could just as well use use a tripod where I would separate the column for packing, and then assemble it on location.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin