Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,759   Online: 986

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Re-cycled peanut shells and pine tar (Florida here y all)

Shooter
    35mm

but then

On the other hand -- whatever my Rolleiflex is made out of. It is 60 years old, looks fantastic and works great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Titanium because it's as light as Aluminium. and as strong as steel.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben, Titanium is much heavier than Aluminiun and difficult to work on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Leicas are made from brass and were nickel plated. Brass is used because it is easy to machine. The nickel plating allows the cameras to take paint easily. Brass has an added advantage in that it is self lubricating preventing the lenses from binding to the lens mount.

While aluminum is light it has the disadvantage in that it tends to bind with other metals. So even though a camera body may be made from aluminum the lens mount is usually made of brass. The binding problem also explains why cheap filters using aluminum tend to bind to lenses. Aluminum also corrodes easily.

Metals parts that are intended for chromium plating are first plated with nickel. Failure to do so causes the chromium plating to eventually develop pits.

An alloy called german silver composed of 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc is also useful for camera parts and was widely used in the early 20th century. It has a silvery appearance, takes a nice polish and does not tarnish.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-17-2014 at 09:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    No... Paint goes over brass directly.
    It is Chrome that goes over Nickel. Not paint.

And no lens mount is brass.

Shooter
    35mm
    Soap.
    :-)
    I like brass because it absorbs shock on impact and can be hammered back easy several times. It also patinas beautifully. Aluminum is light but cracks easy and is harder to stretch. Verry thin stainless is appealing too, easier to tig weld than brass or aluminum.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    No... Paint goes over brass directly.
    It is Chrome that goes over Nickel. Not paint.

And no lens mount is brass.
    You're right about paint going directly over brass. I should have proof read my post better. I was thinking chrome and wrote paint. I did get it right in the 3rd paragraph.

Your probably right about the lens mount metal in that brass may be too soft. However one of my cameras does have a plated brass lens munt because the threads are worn and the brass shows thru. However one mount is not really a good statistical sample.

I stand corrected.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vulcanized rubber with some simple internal frame structure. It could seal right up nicely, take a pounding, and would be cheap to mold, it would have a good weight, be super grippy from any holding position, and It could probably float too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bakelite!

Steve.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin