Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,665   Online: 982

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bakelite is hard but still quite brittle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, plastic is my choice. Really. I use to love heavy cameras but prefer feather light instruments now. I'm glad my Linhof sits on a tripod - I don't know how Munich manages to make them so heavy?! (I should dig out my Yashica mg-1).
    Last edited by miha; 06-18-2014 at 04:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Bakelite!

Steve.
    Yes, like my Argus!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ben, Titanium is much heavier than Aluminiun and difficult to work on.
    I used to work as an engineer in the aerospace industry at a company that made turbine blades for Rolls Royce jet engine out of Titanium, and I know it has the lightest weight and highest tensile strength of any metal on the planet, and how difficult it is to work with I'm wearing a signet ring I made by hand out of it from solid many years ago. One of the other drawbacks of Titanium is how difficult it is to produce and how expensive, I know at the time I worked with it weight for weight it cost about the same as Silver.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-18-2014 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Bakelite!
    Steve.
    Like my century graphic Weighs a ton. Bakelite may be brittle in sheets, but in a complex form it feels indestructible, well, stable and free from flex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on what type of camera: I'd say aluminium for <120mm: easy to work with and quite strong. On the other hand, aesthetically, (especially with replica LF and cine cameras) nothing beats a nice hardwood veneer with the right varnish and brass trim. Perhaps the only con using wood is cracking due to temperature variations and humidity levels.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I used to work as an engineer in the aerospace industry at a company that made turbine blades for Rolls Royce jet engine out of Titanium, and I know it has the lightest weight and highest tensile strength of any metal on the planet...
    spec. density Aluminiun = 2,70

spec. density Titanium = 4,50

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no ideal material, only the best compromise for the intended purpose of the camera.
    Titanium flavored koolaid anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plutonium! It may be a tad heavy & a bit radioactive but still you would probably have the only one.
    It's a little more rugged than peanut shells I suspect, haven't done any real field testing though.

FWIW I don't believe any camera is one metal through and through.

Leica and others used brass that were either plated or painted. The earlier Leitz cameras used a cage frame
    most likely aluminum. Later cameras used a cast frame of an aluminum alloy.
    The M6 is now some sort of white metal that's anodized.
    Nikon did make a titanium body (Top & Bottom covers) but the innards were still cast alloy.
    For bearing surfaces brass. Lens mounts brass plated with chrome although there was at least one that used
    stainless steel.
    Can't forget the "resin"(plastic) covers from Canon either.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin