Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,779   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Ideal camera material

What would be the ideal material you would like your camera to be made from? I note my Leica II is made from Nickel, which I like, but I understand some people are allergic to this material. If you could have a camera made from a material of your choice, what would it be?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rosewood, Cuban mahogany, or purpleheart, something of that ilk. Sturdy but supple red leather bellows, and brass.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oak or mahogany and brass.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We don't see much of Ole here on the forums anymore, but if we did, he might vote for carbon fibre .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a lensboard made of carbon fiber. It'd make a nice camera material. I've heard it's quite brittle for cars, so perhaps a few strands of something else could be mixed with it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...-ed8Ttq-ediNNw

A TLR or Graflex 4x5 RB SLR of carbon fiber and magnesium or titanium would be quite light and stylish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spanish Mahogany, Brass & Glass.
    Last edited by DannL.; 06-17-2014 at 06:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x9cm, 6x7cm, 6x6cm, 6X4.5cm

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I note my Leica II is made from Nickel, which I like, but I understand some people are allergic to this material.
    I don't know of any camera made from Nickel. Anyway, your Leica is made from brass that has been Nickel coated/plated.

Never thought about your issue (sometimes the construction dictates the material). I shall think of all the materials my cameras are made from. At least those materials I typically touch at them.

Shooter
    35mm

note

Clarinet reeds and Scotch tape. Cool, man, cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carbon fiber or titanium come to mind.
    But in reality, "best" would likely be an array of materials, there aren't very many choices which would be ideal for all parts of just about any camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I won't vote on the camera body material, Titanium is a bit difficult to machine so Aluminum is fine, and the outer body should be black with perhaps some leather exterior trim such as found on Contax (but without the bumps)...

But I will offer what I would like the interior lens and camera chamber surfaces should be coated with something perfectly black like this...

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ares-strike-it

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin